It?s been a long time, but I got sat Down at the church with an Indian to keep me com

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went back to the church and did some more detecting on the hill. It?s been fairly productive in the past. The ground is very dry and hard and we haven?t had any rain in a while except for and occasional light shower. This hillside is fairly Rocky so the digging is kind of a challenge but I went at it and after 2 pop tabs my third signal of the day was an Indian head. I had been wondering where the Indian heads, V nickels and other older coins were since the church?s corner stone was laid an 1891. The original church was torn down and rebuilt in 1965 which did change the landscape quite a bit, but I was sure somewhere around the edges some oldies had to be hiding for me to find.

There weren?t a lot of targets with mid or high tones to dig but I did manage a few and in 3 1/2 hours in the heat with the hard ground I did manage to pull 11 coins with a face value of $.99, an unusual brass lock plate, an older toy car and a matchbox military transport, a harmonica side plate, a silver dime, an Indian head penny, a religious medal, some tabs, cans slaw, light bulb ends and a few nails.

A5AB69F3-7F54-42E0-BD7D-300A5D9C0A6F.jpeg

It?s been a long time since I found a seated coin (March 2020) and an Indianhead (December 2020). This dime is kind of special because the corner stone was laid on June 28, 1891 and this is an 1891 seated dime. When the new church was built, the original corner stone was moved to the stone base of the church signboard by the entrance road at the base of the hill I have been hunting. I found the dime about 15 feet behind the corner stone. When they lay the corner stone sometimes they put coins and other memorabilia inside. It?s possible that this dime was actually in the corner stone when it was moved and somehow fell out or was lost so I will return the dime to the church I feel they might want to keep that. I?ll talk to the priest and find out for sure and make arrangements.

03C83A13-BFDB-46E6-8D31-F252BA699F40.jpeg

The round ball is a .50 caliber with a mold seam and a mold sprue so it?s an oldie. The medal is a Holy Childhood Association medal and could be fairly modern from the look of it. The harmonica side plate has O?SAS on it and made in Germany. The mystery letter is where the piece was broken and could be an L. I can?t find anything on line about this one. It?s funny we find harmonica reeds all the time but rarely the side plates. The car has no markings on the inside. My best guess is it is from the 1950s or 60s. If anyone can identify it, please chime in.

48306E64-DBF4-47A6-9509-6250D418977D.jpeg A81BBC3E-531F-4F3C-A087-89376A4850E4.jpeg 257AB60C-A750-493A-A865-E7FD0ADAC5F5.jpeg 25043F0C-94D8-4561-B858-910E02493648.jpeg

I was at a good stopping point and I?ve had enough of digging up and down the hill for the day so I went around the corner to the ball field of a local park and swung for an hour. 12 coins with a face value of $1.65, a rabies vaccine tag and an aluminum key. Nothing special, but a little more clad and time outside cleaning up the coins and trash.

FC241227-ECF9-40C3-B480-6620BFE4FA1F.jpeg DEA88127-F71A-471F-8C72-C9D75735BAD9.jpeg

So 2 coins I haven?t found in what seems like a long time to me. I am very happy with the day and I just got the green light on a new permission so maybe my luck will hold. Thanks for looking, stay safe and may your coil lead you to good things.

Upvote 24

Sue_Doanim

Apr 26, 2009
The wear on the dime would require several years in circulation, so it could not have been in the cornerstone. But a great coincidence!

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very interesting that the Seated dime has the same year as when the cornerstone was laid - very cool!

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I like your theory about the origin of that beautiful seated dime. Returning it to the church would help it complete its journey ( plus bring you oodles of good digging karma!)
Congrats!

OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The wear on the dime would require several years in circulation, so it could not have been in the cornerstone. But a great coincidence!

I have to agree with you on that. The dime does have a decent amount wear on it. I hadn’t considered that when I wrote this up. Thank you for your input.

Very interesting that the Seated dime has the same year as when the cornerstone was laid - very cool!

I agree it is cool.

I like your theory about the origin of that beautiful seated dime. Returning it to the church would help it complete its journey ( plus bring you oodles of good digging karma!)
Congrats!

I have not heard back from the priest yet, but it think he will agree it belongs at the church. I plan on doing a small write up on the church and putting that in a frame with the dime and the Indian head penny. They both are coins from the time when of the cornerstone was laid. (Even though we can’t read the date on the Indian it is the type of penny in circulation at the time.)

Thanks to all, stay safe and keep swingin.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I seriously doubt that dime was in the corner stone. Too much circulation wear on it to have been part of that ceremony. Looks like it was dropped at least 20 years later judging by the wear.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread