It was actually a couple of days ago

FloridaMike

Apr 8, 2014
North Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster 6000/D, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
On my drive home I was passing through a small town in North Florida.
I saw someone swinging a detector in front of an old church.
I was in no hurry, He was close to the road so I thought maybe it was no bother for him to walk over and talk to me.
I wheeled around and pulled up close.
He did not hesitate to walk over and talk.
We talked for quite a while. It was really nice.
People that metal detect have magnetic personalities
He was my Find of the Day.

Mike

Upvote 11

Tibodoe

Jan 7, 2021
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Tesoro Silver Saber
Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This has been my experience as well.
Reminds me of a time I was feeling a little devious.
I saw a fella detecting on one of my farms, in a known battle site.
I grabbed a few eagle buttons and 5 or 6 Minnie balls I had in my truck and put them in my pocket.
I pulled up and played dumb and ask him what he was looking for.
He said, “Civil War relics, you know bullets and stuff”.
He was not having much luck.’I reached into my pocket and told him I had found these old things laying on top of
the ground a few fields over.
His jaw hit the ground, and his eyes lit up.
I could only keep a straight face for about 30 more seconds, when I burst into laughter and
let him know I was pulling his leg.
We had a good laugh, and swapped stories for another hour or so.
Good people in this hobby, that’s for sure.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Detecting the trails in a 400 acre park one time I kept seeing messy recoveries. Slowly I came around a bend and there was another guy detecting up ahead-now most have seen a deer bolt after coming up on them. The guy took off running-funnest thing I've ever seen:laughing7:

So knowing the park well I did a little ravine cross, came up on the other end of the trail and he came around the corner-look on his face of :icon_scratch: what/how is there two of you look.

I did a friendly :hello:, approached this scared buck. I knew it wasn't productive to give him any flack on the messy recovery holes, so I skirted the issue for the time being until he gained some sense of I wasn't going to jump him or something.
We chatted, found out he was just beginning and had the passion deep in the blood already. So I casually mentioned the holes and he got really tight, and I just said digging up the trails and not showing any sign of recoveries was a real tuff go. Then I demonstrated a recovery and how to cover ones tracks-he watched-and thanked me, all was good.

I guess that's why I like the private permissions-where I am the only one out there besides the farmer once in a blue moon.

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It’s so so true..we all share the same passion to hopefully find the elusive pot of gold and to wish people good luck and happiness along the way..Thanks for sharing with us

Kona Koma

Bronze Member
Nov 13, 2017
On the Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Quattro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, it’s a great hobby that allows one to meet good people. I enjoy sharing the hunt and excitement of a good find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread