What's new

Items found around old powder mill?

jml818

Full Member
Joined
Sep 26, 2016
Messages
118
Reaction score
459
Golden Thread
0
Location
Philadelphia, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm helping a gentleman excavate a mill that is on his property, running my detector around today. I pulled these rusty items out of the foundation area. We were thinking the circular item may be some type brake? I would really like to know what the item next to chainsaw may have been used for, with the two different size collars? The handle on it pivots around and actually pretty decent shape for being buried for so long. As for the heavy looking item with teeth or gears, we were thinking it would have been a section of a large gear wheel?
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2231.webp
    IMG_2231.webp
    3.3 MB · Views: 117
  • IMG_2233.webp
    IMG_2233.webp
    3.3 MB · Views: 88
  • IMG_2234.webp
    IMG_2234.webp
    3.1 MB · Views: 99
  • IMG_2236.webp
    IMG_2236.webp
    3.3 MB · Views: 97
Cool finds. Congrats :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
I have to admit, my first thought was “whoa, where did he get that miniature Husqavarna chainsaw!”... somehow I was seeing things wrong... sorry.
 
Upvote 0
The large band is an external brake band. The gear is a piece of rack gear for ??
 
Upvote 0
The large band is an external brake band. The gear is a piece of rack gear for ??

Yes, the brake was used for a spinning shaft. In the automotive industry, it was mounted on the output of the transmission and the loop went around a drum attached to the driveshaft yoke. Old style emergency brake instead of running cables to the rear brakes. That setup was used for tractors and other equipment too. The gear could have been used for a ratchet pawl on that same hand brake.
 
Upvote 0
OLE STOVE PARTS??????
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom