What's new

Its a Zippo but ?

Burnt Chimney

Sr. Member
Joined
Nov 14, 2008
Messages
320
Reaction score
83
Golden Thread
1
Location
Hornet Nest North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
MXT F-75 AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there any way to tell what era the lighter is from by the Serial # it was painted yellow at some point . I did a people search and they were a lot of D.G.Peters of all ages and then the sites want you to pay for more details.
Anyway thanks for looking :hello:
 

Attachments

  • aprils 017.webp
    aprils 017.webp
    41.4 KB · Views: 784
  • aprils 015.webp
    aprils 015.webp
    58 KB · Views: 792
Somone should be able to tell you.
I'm going to Guess Viet Nam Era Forward
to mid 70's

Cool !
 
Upvote 0
Burnt Chimney;
SLF in Marine Speak is SPECIAL LANDING FORCE
The number of digits in the SN will give you a better time frame. Seven digets is probably the 50's.
Serial nembers were issued in bloc to recruiting areas in the country. Nebraska for instance used them up slower than California.
A"SHORT TIMER" is one with 52 days or less on their enlistment.
The figure is a play on the SCHMOO fom LiL Abner comics
Maybe you can find him on the Morman site or American Leigon. Good luck
HE DOES WANT IN BACK.
 
Upvote 0
Wow!!! What a cool find!!! That is spectacular!!!!

It would be awesome to return it to the original owner.

Have you tried finding the guy through a Marine tank or SLF reunion?

I agree, when you figure out the date of manufacture of the Zippo, you'll be able to narrow down the owner somewhat. My guess is that the guy was in the Marines during Vietnam, and that could narrow down your owner to a five year span of birth years...if that makes any sense.

I agree, too, use the Latter Day Saints family research site.

You could also possibly research his military records too.
 
Upvote 0
This serial number is in the 2 millions. My number from 1967 was 53 million, so this was a very early serial number.

HISTORY OF 3RD MARINES:
The 3d Marine Regiment first came into existence during the period of international unrest in the early twentieth century. The regiment was formed 20 December 1916, by consolidating Marine detachments from the various ships in the Atlantic Fleet then at anchor in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. The early days of the regiment were highlighted by campaigns in Mexico and the Dominican Republic.

During World War I, the regiment was heavily involved in the occupation and pacification of the Dominican Republic. As the Dominican crises subsided, the regiment’s role in the Republic also lessened.

Between wars, 3d Marines became a reserve unit stationed in San Francisco, eventually being disbanded in 1937.

The 3d Marine Regiment was reactivated on 16 June 1942, in North Carolina, as part of the World War II military expansion. The regiment fought and bled at Bougainville and Guam. Four medals of Honor were awarded to members of 3d Marines for actions during this period.
 
Upvote 0
Super neat find; I hope you can find the owner. :thumbsup: Breezie
 
Upvote 0
jeff of pa said:
Somone should be able to tell you.
I'm going to Guess Viet Nam Era Forward
to mid 70's

Cool !

In 1970 the US military switched from service numbers to 9 digit social security numbers. All active duty personal were issued new dog tags etc with their SS number. My guess would be that the lighter was engraved prior to 1970.
 
Upvote 0
Man you guys don't mess around ! If I'm reading it right it is a 1967.
Thanks , I'll do some checking around tonight.
 
Upvote 0
I was in the Navy during Nam. My serial number was a little higher than that one...

Nam era!
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
That is an awesome find for sure. I hope the guy is still alive and we can track him down. :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
Burnt Chimney, i sent an email too,but from the http://www.onethreemarines.com/
that was posted up thread, found a listing for a vet that was in the
company rosters weapons company, at the same time as the yr of the lighter
the lighter,says tank plt, i hope im not wrong, and that would be considered
as part of weapons company, might get lucky and the gentleman will remember
D.G.Peters, and D.G.Peters, was not listed in any of the other company rosters
the rosters, get updated,the last update was 3-31-11, so maybe you can check
back once and awhile, to see if D.G. Peters has been listed,if the emails dont work

if the gentleman remembers D.G. peters, ill pm you the info

http://www.onethreemarines.com/
 
Upvote 0
Burnt Chimney said:
Man you guys don't mess around ! If I'm reading it right it is a 1967.
Thanks , I'll do some checking around tonight.

1967 is about the right timeframe for that USMC service number. The Army, Air Force and Navy all had seperate blocks of numbers assigned or were assigned according to state enlisted, regular or drafted, etc.

USMC Enlisted (1966-1972) numbers were 2,000,001 to 2,800,000; however, "the highest Marine Corps service number reached was slightly above 2,699,000 before the numbers were discontinued in 1971."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Service_number_(United_States_Marine_Corps)
 

Attachments

  • USMC service numbers 1905-1972.webp
    USMC service numbers 1905-1972.webp
    33.5 KB · Views: 546
Upvote 0
cw0909 said:
Burnt Chimney, i sent an email too,but from the http://www.onethreemarines.com/
that was posted up thread, found a listing for a vet that was in the
company rosters weapons company, at the same time as the yr of the lighter
the lighter,says tank plt, i hope im not wrong, and that would be considered
as part of weapons company, might get lucky and the gentleman will remember
D.G.Peters, and D.G.Peters, was not listed in any of the other company rosters
the rosters, get updated,the last update was 3-31-11, so maybe you can check
back once and awhile, to see if D.G. Peters has been listed,if the emails dont work

if the gentleman remembers D.G. peters, ill pm you the info

http://www.onethreemarines.com/
That sounds Great , Caltrap said they will post picture in their out going newsletter. :thumbsup: Yes it is a D , I just now double checked .
 
Upvote 0
FWIW, all that I've ever read said that a "short timer" had just 30 days left of duty "in country" in Vietnam.

My guess is that this Zippo was a unit thing, to commemorate a soldier becoming a short timer.

I'm also guessing that the 'walking finger' artwork on the front is not a Marine logo of any sort, but a sign of the soldier's personal attitude towards the world for those last 30 days of in country service. It could also be meant as "Screw you all, I'm leaving this place".

I've seen that artwork before...I've spent most of my life reading WWII, Korea, and Vietnam military history books.

Any Vietnam vets out there to confirm this?
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom