Its coming!

davebien

Feb 5, 2008
DuPage County, IL
Detector(s) used
DFX and now a new Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Re: It's coming!

I still think I'll wait until maybe June... Of course visiting one of the kids in SoFL is an option. Wait, its chilly down there too!!! Just can't win, I may never get to try out the MineLab Explorer II Pro I got for Christmas. :help:

Clad the Impaler

Jan 11, 2010

Then let's do it!! I haven't been out hunting in almost 2 months!!! I say as soon as it warms up a bit, we go!! Wed. maybe??? :icon_thumleft:

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023

Just pay attention to the operating specs on your machines. Some are not rated below freezing. But if they are, don't hesitate to hit the sledding hills, they've built quite a bit of equity over the last couple weeks, cold weather and all!

Two things to consider, the run at both ends. At the top, people often take off their gloves and shake out the snow, this is where the rings and bracelets come off. At the bottom, it's pocket spill village or pocket spill city, depending on who's been on the hill.

While I've found jewelery at the bottom and middle of the runs, most seems to come from the top.

Lastly, if you get to the dirt and it's apparent the target is in the ground, leave it for the thaw.

I use my Estwing rock pick in the ice on the hills and the goodies come out readily. I would suggest a small rock pick for the work to anyone going after it.

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star

What comes next...

Muck.jpg

Ugh!!!!! :(

I wish we could skip this stage of the game. :-\

OP
OP
p2c

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac and Grey Ghost NDT; Garrett Pointer Pro

Lowbatts said:
Just pay attention to the operating specs on your machines. Some are not rated below freezing.

Minelabs, at least E-tracs say no in their manual, but someone else on another forum contacted an engineer at minelab. They said they are fine in cold temps, you just need to take care in the process of changing from warm to cold and cold to warm, because there is a chance that condensation could build-up inside on the processor. If you hunt outside, then leave it in the car to warm up part way for a couple hours (assuming your car is warmer). Then you can take it in. Another solution is to wrap the control housing in a towel to insulate it, so it warms slower once you come in. Just a tip for the many E trac owners.

I have only owned my E trac since early December, but I've noticed that the display is slower to update in the cold. Audio remains fast.

-Jon

litefire56

Bronze Member
May 14, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX -10x12 SEF, 300mm, 10"DD, 6x10DD, Sunray DX-1

Kimsdad said:
What comes next...

Hey Neil... I would roll in that mud and squeal like a pig, to be able to dig your last spill. :laughing7:
I just might anyway...

OP
OP
p2c

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac and Grey Ghost NDT; Garrett Pointer Pro

Kimsdad said:
What comes next...

Has anyone tried an anti-fogging spray or gel on the display cover of their detectors? A lot of that mud, as Neil's picture indicates, comes from wiping the display of condensation to be able to read. If something out there actually works and is safe to use, then only the buttons would get muddy. I am just curious, because that was happening to me a lot in December and it was annoying to wipe condensation only to have it replaced by mud streaks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread