It's either a pistol ball or a fish weight... thoughts?

mikebourgeois

Jun 1, 2018
Victoria, BC
Detector(s) used
White's Treasure Master and a Makro Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, the picture is poor but I think it shows what i'm asking... is this rounded object a fish weight or a pistol ball/pellet? It rang in as lead and while I'm not sure that the area is one that would have had any real reason to shoot a gun off beyond drunken revellers I'm still rather curious.

The item was found in a wooded area that is now a camp ground on Hornby Island. It was buried in fairly dense soil and was down about 4 inches. It looks like there is a dimple on one point... not deep but a slight discoloration that makes it appear like it was maybe on a spru of some sort.

Anyhow, your opinion would be appreciated... it's a step away from the normal stuff I find so I'd like to see if I found something fun or just more of the same.

thanks all.

Attachments

• 20190713_190335.jpg
    20190713_190335.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 92

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
From my tired eyes view...It is a egg slip sinker.
It would need a hole through it lengthwise.
Check the ends for compacted dried mud/soil blocking the hole.

IF the piece is oblong , it's no bullet.

And drunks are not the only source of bullets...
Besides B.C.'s aboriginal hunters ,others followed.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

mikebourgeois

Jun 1, 2018
Victoria, BC
Detector(s) used
White's Treasure Master and a Makro Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No holes but there are two entry points on opposite sides of the egg. I had to give it a bit of a scrub to find them. I tried to pass a pin through the holes but it bound up and wouldn't advance so I suppose that it could be clogged with something hard or something else weird.

Still my first sinker I guess which is maybe cause for success... um hurray? Anyways, thanks for the advise... I appreciate it... maybe I'll hit one of the boat launch/ fishing areas and see if I can find others like it. Never thought about that kind of stuff... could be fun.

thanks.

Upvote 0

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A sinker will be soft you can dent it easily

Upvote 0

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No holes but there are two entry points on opposite sides of the egg. I had to give it a bit of a scrub to find them. I tried to pass a pin through the holes but it bound up and wouldn't advance so I suppose that it could be clogged with something hard or something else weird.

Still my first sinker I guess which is maybe cause for success... um hurray? Anyways, thanks for the advise... I appreciate it... maybe I'll hit one of the boat launch/ fishing areas and see if I can find others like it. Never thought about that kind of stuff... could be fun.

thanks.

I bought a lead melting pot for all the lead fishing weights I find and melt them down and make drop shot weights out of them.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread