Jan 7, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's GOLDEN to be back in the STATES. England finds

Hey guys! sorry it's been a while. Me, Dirt Digler and Pickhead just got back from two weeks of detecting in England. Let me tell you, I had a few items that I was dying to return home with. Number one on my list was a Celtic gold stater. One of our buddies Terry popped one on day two. I realized the rarity of finding one and at that very moment I just knew how much my odds decreased. Happy for Terry we all went on hunting and hoping. A few days later after finding several Hammered coins, Romans, Saxon, Norman and Viking artifacts, I got over my dream find. A full gold Celtic stater from the Iceni tribe circa 20 BC! Dream come true! Still can't believe it! Still waiting to hear back from the museum about one artifact in particular. It appears to be a Norman era Mount of some sort. With intricate designs and enameling (or stones) inlayed. Trip of a lifetime! Of course we got it on film... duh! Can't wait to share the footage! Cheers! HH!

Attachments

• IMG_0697.JPG
    IMG_0697.JPG
    291.6 KB · Views: 300
  • IMG_0698.JPG
    IMG_0698.JPG
    319.2 KB · Views: 292
  • IMG_0736.JPG
    IMG_0736.JPG
    159.6 KB · Views: 288
  • IMG_0662.JPG
    IMG_0662.JPG
    836.9 KB · Views: 290
  • IMG_0635.JPG
    IMG_0635.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 288
  • IMG_0726.JPG
    IMG_0726.JPG
    938.4 KB · Views: 294
  • IMG_0681.JPG
    IMG_0681.JPG
    973.1 KB · Views: 287
  • IMG_3463.jpg
    IMG_3463.jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 279
Upvote 37

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't you have to sell the items there and give the owner of the property half, or does that only apply to a find of a set value? My gf has a brother in Sheffield and one in Scotland. I am hoping to get to hunt there someday. Wtg on some very nice finds.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Don't you have to sell the items there and give the owner of the property half, or does that only apply to a find of a set value? My gf has a brother in Sheffield and one in Scotland. I am hoping to get to hunt there someday. Wtg on some very nice finds.

Usually the finds are handed into somebody that will prepare the export papers, then the Coroner will examine the finds to make sure none are of following. Over 300 yrs old and containing more than 10% gold or silver, or of a historical significance to the country. If the item is more than 300yrs old and the 10% content it is deemed a possible treasure and then the BM will look at the item to see if they want to purchase the item from the finder. The find then goes to a valuation committee and a value will be placed on the item. Then that has to be agreed on by the finder and the land owner, and if it is then the purchase price is split between the two. Most times there's an agreement between the hunter and the landowner that gold coinage will be 50/50 split on value of spot gold at the time of the agreement. If two gold coins are found at the same (or very near to each other) then it's a hoard and it has to reported to PAS as do the item. I think 5 hammered silver found at on spot could be deemed as a hoard also. Once the Coroner has deemed the items that been found aren't of historical significance or the 10% they'll process (stamp) the papers for the items to exported, if this is not followed then it could fall into the area of smuggling.

Nice going on the Stater and the mount, it'll be interesting to here what the museum says.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, a Celtic Gold Coin used to be my no.1 wish list item, they are very hard to find. Although if you were at Colchester, that does give you an incresed chance of running over 1. BIG CONGRATS.
The Brooch may just be Norman period but I would ID it as a Viking Period Cloisonne brooch (imported from Europe).

Last edited:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2015 Spink book no.428:
F - £275
VF - £850

PS. Already voted!

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Amazing finds.... :)

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW--WHAT A VACATION !!:occasion14:

ArDirtSlinger

Mar 13, 2014
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP deus; MI-6 pinpointer, TRX pinpointer, Lesche digger, Lesche Sampson, Predator Piranha
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Voted banner for the big decorated thingy....gold hammered is fine too..Congrats an a Great trip and Hunt

JerseyDigger19

Apr 20, 2015
West Orange, NJ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm betting the museum will return you the Stater. They are fairly common (for ancient gold coins anyway) and a single coin find is usually not considered significant enough to be historical unless the coin is unpublished in the major references. Your Stater is beautiful! The Norman Mount is another story - that may well be considered "treasure" but at least if so, you will get a reasonable value for it!

Congratulations on some phenomenal finds - I'm hoping to get over next year!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super awesome finds! Congrats! The age of finds over there is always mind blowing.

Banner worthy.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Banner ! Dream come true finds for most of us I'm sure - The Celtic is incredible but I also love the Viking enameled piece .

Limey-digger

Jan 17, 2015
Roamin with the Romans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the Golden Pony Club. :occasion14:
Quite a nice mix of finds you made, the brooch you found is a beautiful piece.
Always good to be reminded of how lucky we are here in the UK with the amount of history we are able to dig.

George

PalmettoPride

Nov 13, 2014
Lexington South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AWESOME finds-Can't wait for the video! I'm headed to England for two weeks in July to visit the in-laws & I'm thinking of taking my detector (Fisher F2). How deep were most of your finds? The F2 only picks up coins to about 8 inches.

Uncle Jeff

May 28, 2013
Tampa, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer AT -
TEKNETICS EUROTEK PRO -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No wonder there have been no videos recently on you tube.. now get to work editing and posting for us :)

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Big congrats! Stunning brooch! Crossing celtic gold off the wishlist is great! Also love the strap end, you made fantastic finds which belong on top. Vote in here. :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
D

Dr.Tones

Jan 7, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys!!!! Man what I wouldn't give to be a able to put those in my collection right away. Thanks for all the info too! I appreciate it. With regards to depth of finds... All over the map. Most fields were plowed at one point. F2 should be fine though. Don't focus on how deep it goes... Focused on where to swing it ��

PalmettoPride

Nov 13, 2014
Lexington South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's what she said (sorry I couldn't resist).

Thanks for the response-can't wait til July, especially after seen your post. You guys killed it!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
AWESOME finds-Can't wait for the video! I'm headed to England for two weeks in July to visit the in-laws & I'm thinking of taking my detector (Fisher F2). How deep were most of your finds? The F2 only picks up coins to about 8 inches.

In the ploughed fields you'll do fine, but it's mostly crop covered and the hunting will be slim. On pasture well it's a crap shoot, as the question if it's been ever turned and how long ago, things can be close or out of range, one never knows. There's so much history that one can only imagine what's laying in a average park. Bring it with for sure, as it's too old to say no. Good luck!

What's the story on the great looking ring, Dr Tones?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread