What's new

Its time to turn your metal detecting hobby in a profitable career

Re: It's time to turn your metal detecting hobby in a profitable career

Well, that it's exactly we don't know if will happen again or not. In 1933 we didn't own a 13 trillion dollar in debt, so, it's possible today Fed can size all gold, including jewelry.

Arch
[/quote]

Yes, that is true. I was merely pointing out that the action by Roosevelt you described left gold jewelry alone. There is no telling what could happen in the future. They certainly aren't bound by what Roosevelt did.

The only scenario where I could see that happening again is if people starting abandoning the use of government fiat currency and started doing transactions in gold and silver. Unlikely, but not impossible.
 
Re: It's time to turn your metal detecting hobby in a profitable career

Frankn said:
Gilligan: You didn't add anything either. I was just stirring the pot that someone else started!
​

Yes Frankn, but if I title my thread as The Best Ford Motor Vehicles, and ramble on about Obama, is this not misleading?
 
Re: It's time to turn your metal detecting hobby in a profitable career

nowgittineverything said:
He still hasn't told us how we can turn detecting into a profitable career. I have seen these reports before, it's all copied and pasted :icon_pirat:........NGE

Thank you brother, now tell Frankn so that he may come to an understanding ;D
 
Re: It's time to turn your metal detecting hobby in a profitable career

nowgittineverything said:
He still hasn't told us how we can turn detecting into a profitable career. I have seen these reports before, it's all copied and pasted :icon_pirat:........NGE

Well, the same way that you work everyday, 40 hr a week, using a pattern grid underwater, not walking in straight line, likes many people does it, swinging the coil back and fourth.

Arch
 
Re: It's time to turn your metal detecting hobby in a profitable career

architecad said:
nowgittineverything said:
He still hasn't told us how we can turn detecting into a profitable career. I have seen these reports before, it's all copied and pasted :icon_pirat:........NGE

Well, the same way that you work everyday, 40 hr a week, using a pattern grid underwater, not walking in straight line, likes many people does it, swinging the coil back and fourth.

Arch

Thanks for the valuable, unique tip, your experience has helped us all make our hobby a profitable career. I will add to make sure you dig your find with a shovel or a knife....don't leave your finds in the ground like is the habit of all. Also, be sure and hold your detector with your hand, right or left, as many of us forget this. :tongue3:
 
Re: It's time to turn your metal detecting hobby in a profitable career

Gilligan said:
architecad said:
nowgittineverything said:
He still hasn't told us how we can turn detecting into a profitable career. I have seen these reports before, it's all copied and pasted :icon_pirat:........NGE You sound just like an ar-keel-haul-ogist..........

Well, the same way that you work everyday, 40 hr a week, using a pattern grid underwater, not walking in straight line, likes many people does it, swinging the coil back and fourth.

Arch

Thanks for the valuable, unique tip, your experience has helped us all make our hobby a profitable career. I will add to make sure you dig your find with a shovel or a knife....don't leave your finds in the ground like is the habit of all. Also, be sure and hold your detector with your hand, right or left, as many of us forget this. :tongue3:
 
Re: It's time to turn your metal detecting hobby in a profitable career

miser said:
Well, that it's exactly we don't know if will happen again or not. In 1933 we didn't own a 13 trillion dollar in debt, so, it's possible today Fed can size all gold, including jewelry.

Arch

Yes, that is true. I was merely pointing out that the action by Roosevelt you described left gold jewelry alone. There is no telling what could happen in the future. They certainly aren't bound by what Roosevelt did.

The only scenario where I could see that happening again is if people starting abandoning the use of government fiat currency and started doing transactions in gold and silver. Unlikely, but not impossible.
[/quote]

That it 's exactly what we living right now, people starting to trade- buy and sell with the gold.

Arch
 
Re: It's time to turn your metal detecting hobby in a profitable career

Gilligan: you only use your entries to knock other posters. You have contributed nothing to the original post!
O.K. back to the original subject!!! I started a sort of recovery business, but I realized that it had to have an impressive theme to catch on . I made business cards stating "Archaeological Search and Recovery". I hand them out after talking to people at social events like art shows and art & craft festivals. I am basically looking for people that own 200 year old property that has or had a dwelling on it. I work up an agreement with them for a 50/50 split. High value items like gold and jewelry or valuable coins are sold and the income split. Less desirable items are spread out and alternately picked. I usually end up with a lot of rusty iron that I conserve, that is I remove the rust and apply a coating that kills futher rusting than I usually apply a coat of flat black. I then mount them on a black walnut plaque. I then place them for sale in a gallery. They sell from $50 to over $1000 ea. The last yard produced a gold ring with a 2ct. ruby worth $2000. and a 200 year old blacksmith made ax which is now on display and priced at $1500. So you see there is money to be made while you are having fun!!
​
 
Re: It's time to turn your metal detecting hobby in a profitable career

Frankn said:
Gilligan: you only use your entries to knock other posters. You have contributed nothing to the original post!
O.K. back to the original subject!!! I started a sort of recovery business, but I realized that it had to have an impressive theme to catch on . I made business cards stating "Archaeological Search and Recovery". I hand them out after talking to people at social events like art shows and art & craft festivals. I am basically looking for people that own 200 year old property that has or had a dwelling on it. I work up an agreement with them for a 50/50 split. High value items like gold and jewelry or valuable coins are sold and the income split. Less desirable items are spread out and alternately picked. I usually end up with a lot of rusty iron that I conserve, that is I remove the rust and apply a coating that kills futher rusting than I usually apply a coat of flat black. I then mount them on a black walnut plaque. I then place them for sale in a gallery. They sell from $50 to over $1000 ea. The last yard produced a gold ring with a 2ct. ruby worth $2000. and a 200 year old blacksmith made ax which is now on display and priced at $1500. So you see there is money to be made while you are having fun!!
​

Bingo, That's what I'm talking about, make money and have a fun.

Arch
 
Re: It's time to turn your metal detecting hobby in a profitable career

You should try it Architecad but I think you have to look out further. The newer houses in your area, near the Springs, won't produce much. I would look for an area that has been there for 200 yrs. or more.
​
 
Re: It's time to turn your metal detecting hobby in a profitable career

You worry too much.

:)
 
Re: It's time to turn your metal detecting hobby in a profitable career

I gave up worry a long time ago Hopalong!
​
 
Re: It's time to turn your metal detecting hobby in a profitable career

WilliamBoyd said:
You worry too much.

:)

It's not to be "worry about", it's to have some precaution about this economic situation getting closer each day.

Arch
 
Re: It's time to turn your metal detecting hobby in a profitable career

Steady, consistent return detecting? I would think that possibility would depend a great deal on one's geographical location and their ease of access to prime locations with steady spoils, with busy high dollar beaches coming first to mind. But certainly not a possibility for many. Add to this that most of the country is also very seasonal. I guess I would need you to define, "Profitable career?" :dontknow:
 
Re: It's time to turn your metal detecting hobby in a profitable career

bigscoop said:
Steady, consistent return detecting? I would think that possibility would depend a great deal on one's geographical location and their ease of access to prime locations with steady spoils, with busy high dollar beaches coming first to mind. But certainly not a possibility for many. Add to this that most of the country is also very seasonal. I guess I would need you to define, "Profitable career?" :dontknow:

With the high price of gold today, treasure hunter can convert this hobby in a lucrative career or make an higher income rather than to find 3 quarter, 4 dime and five nickels in one single day detecting. If you think seriously and wants to get advantage of this economic situation where the gold price is skyrocket, you would create a plan to get more good money from your metal detector.

For me, any beach where there is several five star hotel beachfront, means " lots of gold and silver lost ready to be found" underwater if you detect in pattern, not walking in a single line.

Arch
 
Re: It's time to turn your metal detecting hobby in a profitable career

Frankn said:
Gilligan: you only use your entries to knock other posters. You have contributed nothing to the original post!
O.K. back to the original subject!!! I started a sort of recovery business, but I realized that it had to have an impressive theme to catch on . I made business cards stating "Archaeological Search and Recovery". I hand them out after talking to people at social events like art shows and art & craft festivals. I am basically looking for people that own 200 year old property that has or had a dwelling on it. I work up an agreement with them for a 50/50 split. High value items like gold and jewelry or valuable coins are sold and the income split. Less desirable items are spread out and alternately picked. I usually end up with a lot of rusty iron that I conserve, that is I remove the rust and apply a coating that kills futher rusting than I usually apply a coat of flat black. I then mount them on a black walnut plaque. I then place them for sale in a gallery. They sell from $50 to over $1000 ea. The last yard produced a gold ring with a 2ct. ruby worth $2000. and a 200 year old blacksmith made ax which is now on display and priced at $1500. So you see there is money to be made while you are having fun!!
​

Bingo ;D
 
Re: It's time to turn your metal detecting hobby in a profitable career

There are some that are making a profitable, comfortable living already around my hood. And they aren't using detectors. They are breaking in and stealing what you have earned or found. Some get unlucky though and meet the family canine, or worse yet an armed and dangerous home owner..........NGE
 
Re: It's time to turn your metal detecting hobby in a profitable career

architecad said:
bigscoop said:
Steady, consistent return detecting? I would think that possibility would depend a great deal on one's geographical location and their ease of access to prime locations with steady spoils, with busy high dollar beaches coming first to mind. But certainly not a possibility for many. Add to this that most of the country is also very seasonal. I guess I would need you to define, "Profitable career?" :dontknow:

With the high price of gold today, treasure hunter can convert this hobby in a lucrative career or make an higher income rather than to find 3 quarter, 4 dime and five nickels in one single day detecting. If you think seriously and wants to get advantage of this economic situation where the gold price is skyrocket, you would create a plan to get more good money from your metal detector.

For me, any beach where there is several five star hotel beachfront, means " lots of gold and silver lost ready to be found" underwater if you detect in pattern, not walking in a single line.

Arch

Location, Location, Location. In my part of the country, mid-west, some of the earliest churches only date around the 1870's. Metal detecting laws are also strick here, state ground is a no-no, most of the remaining region is open farm land. Out east or out west, maybe the south or southwest, perhaps, but here, from where I'm located, it's not very likely. But in other regions? A lot of hidden expenses to factor in as well. But I suppose anything's possible. :dontknow:
 
Re: It's time to turn your metal detecting hobby in a profitable career

Frankn said:
The whole economic downturn was started by $140 a barrel OIL! Its that simple! It drained the monetary system of the world. The oil producers were building a palm tree shaped luxury resort island, expressways to nowhere in the desert, a fleet of skyscrapers and the world's biggest university. They were straining to find ways to spend it while the rest of the world crumbled under the debt. What about a cure? If oil sells for $60+ a barrell, we would have a rapid recovery. If oil would sell for $70+ a barrell, we will have a slow or no recovery. If oil sells for $80+ a barrell we are going down. It's that simple!!
​

Please try again
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom