Jack.Pot - Silver ang Gold, but the Gold is cardboard.

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Too good not to share!!

Anyway, cruising my usual local auction house last night, and I crack this little burgundy box--eyes pop out of my head when there's a Hopi designed silver necklace with matching earrings sitting there. I knew it was Hopi when I saw the figural hallmark, so I took to google and was pleasantly surprised. Preston Monongye. Folks, add this hallmark/symbol to your watch list. It would have cost more from a thrift store... I truly stole it. The fact that pieces like this still get overlooked at a relatively busy estate auction just tickles me to death..
At any rate, I'm hoping that someone would be willing to share insights as to how to sell this piece, or if I decide to eBay it, how much to ask starting bid... It may be good enough to catch the attention of a regional auction house, but which one? I think this is an earlier work, judging by the chain and the small hook clasp. 1950's? How cool though... I'm in awe.

Another recent score I wanted to share is this Walter Johnson National Caramel card. 1921! This is the best card I found in a small collection of vintage I bought at a flea market. I can't decide whether or not to get it graded. It was obviously in a scrap book for many years, given the residue on the back, but the front is just beautiful, and the corners are decent too. Included a picture of the whole lot, you can see it is a very good and authentic vintage baseball card collection that belonged to the deceased father of the seller. This collection was priced about 3000% under market. Heheh, right place right time! This was about 9:30 in the morning, so this collection had been sitting there at a very busy flea market for about 3 hours!

Happy picking, thanks for looking, and may the next score belong to YOU!

Attachments

• PM1.jpg
    PM1.jpg
    548.5 KB · Views: 147
  • PM2.jpg
    PM2.jpg
    370 KB · Views: 130
  • WJ.jpg
    WJ.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 133
  • WJ2.jpg
    WJ2.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 130
  • vtg.jpg
    vtg.jpg
    723.7 KB · Views: 157
OP
OP
DFW_THer

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A great deal since 100% under market would be free...

Well ya got me there, I'm just a young man with a zest to exaggerate to the point of making zero sense, what can I say. haha

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice scores! Depending on card values, I'd send at least some of those to SGC or PSA for authentication. I've heard SGC is seen as better for the truly vintage cards, esp that 1921 example of Big Train.

Not sure how to price your jewelry :dontknow: I'd normally ask you! :laughing7:

OP
OP
DFW_THer

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice scores! Depending on card values, I'd send at least some of those to SGC or PSA for authentication. I've heard SGC is seen as better for the truly vintage cards, esp that 1921 example of Big Train.

Not sure how to price your jewelry :dontknow: I'd normally ask you! :laughing7:

I appreciate that card advice! Thanks for putting up with my Tnet AND Facebook posts.

If I probe the market myself, I'll probably list it for $3499 start bid, just to see what kind of interest it generates. I need to email some experts on Hopi.

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great score on the cards.

People just do not look at Sports cards any more due to the over saturated market of modern cards. I was at GW yesterday saw box of sport cards according to the box. There were two one had plastic wrap and been ripped and searched, still it was on the self. The other was marked $49. Asked to look at the covered box....... before I opened it the manager says I will let you have it for 1/2 price. I took the lid off the box and it was all modern topps, donruss, fleer, etc in poor condition. I did not say anything except NO thank you and you do not need to get the other box down I do not want to even look it them.

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great score on the cards.

People just do not look at Sports cards any more due to the over saturated market of modern cards. I was at GW yesterday saw box of sport cards according to the box. There were two one had plastic wrap and been ripped and searched, still it was on the self. The other was marked $49. Asked to look at the covered box....... before I opened it the manager says I will let you have it for 1/2 price. I took the lid off the box and it was all modern topps, donruss, fleer, etc in poor condition. I did not say anything except NO thank you and you do not need to get the other box down I do not want to even look it them.

Yeah, you can forget about almost any regular issue cards since 1980, with a few exceptions. Examples would be a HOFer's rookie card, cards with signatures, stuff like that. From what I have read, 1974 and earlier are usually pretty good, 1975-1979 are hit-or-miss.

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome job there. I like the necklace. The cards are cool too. I hope you're able to make some good money on them. Ironically I was called to a thrift store today to look at baseball cards they got in. They were super excited and thought they hit the jackpot. They have the exact same ones you have but theirs were reprints. I don't know how to tell them apart these ones were even framed that they had but they were just too good to be original 1911 cards. Theirs were these.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/362025062387

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome job there. I like the necklace. The cards are cool too. I hope you're able to make some good money on them. Ironically I was called to a thrift store today to look at baseball cards they got in. They were super excited and thought they hit the jackpot. They have the exact same ones you have but theirs were reprints. I don't know how to tell them apart these ones were even framed that they had but they were just too good to be original 1911 cards. Theirs were these.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/362025062387

This other auction (again, not mine, just found it randomly) shows one of the backs where it clearly shows the word REPRINT. If yours did not have that, I would just assume reprint unless I could prove otherwise.

1911 Gold Border PHILADELPHIA ATHLETICS~A's T205 CCC Team REPRINT Set NM-Mint | eBay

I found a Beckett.com post where something like these reprint cards were mentioned. One answer given is that there is a 2003 Topps reprint set -- see link below -- or if they are not those, there are also generic reprints out there. I would think the generic ones wouldn't be worth much, but you'd have to do some searches to be sure.

2003 Topps 205 Baseball | The Trading Card Database

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions