🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Jade or Serpentine?

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found this in the creek near my house. Glacial till. I ground a window and polished it.
IMG_4713.jpeg
IMG_4714.jpeg

Slabbed it and made a 25X18 cab.
IMG_5059.jpeg
IMG_5060.jpeg
IMG_4970.jpeg
IMG_4978.jpeg

Whatever it is, it polished up pretty nice for a rock from the creek by my house.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure what it is either, but it sure polished up rather pretty. It's fascinating what you might find in all of what the glaciers had deposited all over the upper Midwest.

Upvote 1

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Serpentine will not take a high polish. It always looks and feels "waxy". Obviously your rock is not serpentine.

I have my doubts that it's jade or jadeite. Typically cutting jade is rough on your equipment and slow. It's the toughest rock so when cutting it will be slow progress and take several more sand/polish steps to bring up the polish without orange peel problems.

If you didn't experience that cutting sequence I'm thinking your rock is more likely to be Chlorite or possibly a Amphibole like Tremolite or Actinolite. The amphiboles include nephrite but there are a lot of other green minerals and rocks associated with the Amphibole group.

A word of caution. Many Serpentines and Amphiboles have considerable asbestos in their composition. You never want to work those rocks dry or barehanded. Run copious water, clean your equipment after use and wear gloves for cleanup. Work safe. :thumbsup:

Upvote 5

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
I have to agree with Clay. No visual characteristics of either jade or serpentine. I would suspect one of the many amphiboles, of which several are green.

If there is a rock hounding, or a gem and mineral club near you, one of the members may be able to assist. Some candidates can easily be either ruled out or confirmed by a thorough personal inspection.

Upvote 1

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0
OP
OP
ToddsPoint

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Serpentine will not take a high polish. It always looks and feels "waxy". Obviously your rock is not serpentine.
Thanks for the information. My interest in glacial till rocks started with Indian artifacts. I’ve tried to identify the types of rocks they used from the till and why. Only lately have I started looking at all the “other rocks”. So many rocks, so little time!

Upvote 2
OP
OP
ToddsPoint

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have my doubts that it's jade or jadeite. Typically cutting jade is rough on your equipment and slow. It's the toughest rock so when cutting it will be slow progress and take several more sand/polish steps to bring up the polish without orange peel problems.

If you didn't experience that cutting sequence I'm thinking your rock is more likely to be Chlorite
My rock was not difficult to cut or polish. I’ve worked both Alaskan jade and WY jade. The Alaska Jade was the meanest rock I’ve ever worked so I know what you’re talking about. Diamond tools chattered away on it.
I compared my rock to pics of chlorite and it indeed looks like it visually. That in itself is very interesting. Chlorite was used for banner stones, particularly in OH. The OH archaeologists have argued that the use of chlorite shows trade between OH and points east where chlorite is found. If chlorite is available in IL glacial till, it likely is present in OH as well. So much for long distance trade! Just another case of natives being aware of what is available locally and modern arkies not being aware. Thanks again Clay.

Upvote 2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread