January 18, 1917 The Oklahoma Leader

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
The Oklahoma Leader
January 18, 1917

Tulsa, Jan. 11-Days of Captain Kidd and Poe's "gold bug" were hearkened back to when "Scout" Younger, cousin of Cole Younger, the famous outlaw, headed a party which began a search for $63,000 buried somewhere on the face of Lost City Mountain, six miles west of Tulsa, which was secreted there more than forty years ago by the famous James brothers gang. Cole Younger who died last March left directions for the finding of the booty the Tulsa member of the Younger family as a heritage. The searchers carried guiding rods, picks, shovels and other paraphernalia necessary.

willisjj

Nov 2, 2005
Owasso, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Current: Minelab Equinox 800, Tesoro Cibola

Past: Sovereign GT, Garrett Treasure Ace 250, Tesoro Compadre, Etrac, Sovereign XS, Whites 6000D, Garrett Master Hunter BFO
I am assuming that Lost City Mountain is in the vicinity of the now almost "ghost town" of Lost City. Funny, I had never heard of it and just read a little about it in a book last night called Oklahoma Ghost Town Tales. Good lead, thank you for sharing with us!

Dominoe

Mar 20, 2004
Oklahoma
I always assumed "Lost City" meant the craggy area around Chandler Park. That's about 6 miles West of the main Tulsa Post Office. The huge crags all line up like city walls and there are ALOT of areas around there to hide stuff. It's a fairly big park area with lots of wilderness areas to crawl around and poke around in. Yes, I have looked the area over quite a bit but haven't found much to talk about. There is alot of area I still have not gone over. There is also a legend that there is a Stage Coach, loaded with a payroll (60kish?) that was dumped in that area as well.

willisjj

Nov 2, 2005
Owasso, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Current: Minelab Equinox 800, Tesoro Cibola

Past: Sovereign GT, Garrett Treasure Ace 250, Tesoro Compadre, Etrac, Sovereign XS, Whites 6000D, Garrett Master Hunter BFO
I looked it up on Google. Coordinates are 35°59′9″N, 95°7′26″W . You could probably punch that into Google maps and get a sat pic. I will tommorrow,but right now going to bed. Anyway...did read that it now had a population of about 800 people, so I guess it is actually a town as it a census-designated place (CDP) in Cherokee County.

OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
CREEK COUNTY:

COLE YOUNGER SPOKE OF A CACHE OF $63,000 IN OUTLAW TREASURE THAT HE BURIED ON THE S SIDE OF THE ARKANSAS RIVER, 1 MILE DOWNSTREAM FROM THE SAND SPRINGS BRIDGE. THE GOLD HAD SUNK DEEP IN THE MUD AND HE NEVER RECOVERED IT.

JESSE AND HIS GANG BURIED $88,000 WRAPPED IN LEATHER IN A NARROW CREVICE COVERED WITH ROCKS ABOUT 2 OR 3 MILES SE OF SAND SPRINGS AT A PLACE CALLED "LOST CITY."

YEARS LATER AFTER HIS RELEASE FROM PRISON, FRANK JAMES RETURNED AND SEARCHED FOR HIS LOOT, BUT FAILED TO FIND IT
http://www.knightsofthegoldencircle-kgc.com/JessesHideout.htm

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread