Jesuits / Franciscans Reccomended Reading

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Oro, yer passing the buck.:laughing7::coffee2::coffee2:

Hmm well I have typed in and hand copied something like 180 million words in these forums, think people get tired of it. However you on the other hand have been very stingy with your words lately, and also I would certainly bow to your much superior experience in the matter. So since you brought that up, we are waiting patiently for you to explain! :tongue3:

More coffee amigo?
:coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2:

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Oro, quote -- we are waiting patiently for you to explain! and I for 'your' book which you have promised since 2006.

Well that one will be a long wait as it is stuck in a dead PC for over a year now, a complete first draft in fact. Not much hope of retrieving it at this point. However you did remind me that I do have much more research waiting to get through, for a different book so I will have to get cracking on that. Don't let me hinder you from explaining about why the Franciscans were given the eviction notice, with such a generous time to get out, thanks in advance!
:laughing7:

:coffee2::coffee2::coffee2:

OP
OP
R

Randy Bradford

Jun 27, 2004
Well that one will be a long wait as it is stuck in a dead PC for over a year now, a complete first draft in fact. Not much hope of retrieving it at this point. However you did remind me that I do have much more research waiting to get through, for a different book so I will have to get cracking on that. Don't let me hinder you from explaining about why the Franciscans were given the eviction notice, with such a generous time to get out, thanks in advance!

Oro, that's an easy problem to remedy and won't cost you much to do it. Find a decent computer hardware store, buy a portable hard drive docking station, remove drive from dead computer (or pay computer store to do it for you), plug in drive to dock, plug dock into new computer with USB. Viola. Recover that book and share it with your friends and fans who are dying to read it.

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Oro, that's an easy problem to remedy and won't cost you much to do it. Find a decent computer hardware store, buy a portable hard drive docking station, remove drive from dead computer (or pay computer store to do it for you), plug in drive to dock, plug dock into new computer with USB. Viola. Recover that book and share it with your friends and fans who are dying to read it.

I don't think that people here would find it too interesting, as it has nothing to do with treasure. The dead PC has been packed away in storage, and since I have plenty on my plate for some time to come, there is no rush. I doubt that it is recoverable, as I did try every trick I know of (I am not computer illiterate) and it would not spin up, which is why it got packed away. Thanks for the suggestions, and to further derail the topic (all thanks to Don Jose's trying to DIVERT attention away from HIS PROMISE to write that book on Tayopa) the computer had died due to (apparently) a power fluctuation as we have very unreliable power grid here; in fact the last two nights, when it was below zero, the power went out for four hours and five hours respectively; even had a problem getting my computer to start up again after this latest power glitch(es) but anyway that was what happened to the dead PC.

I had saved ALL the relevant files and source files, as well as a number of photos in multiple copies on CDs so thought I had nothing to worry about when that PC died. Unfortunately when I then tried to get the files on a different computer, I found that they were still completely blank, that the old PC had been 'pretending' to write files to them! :BangHead: It was a hard lesson for me to never trust digital storage for important materials, but now I have learned it. And yes I have tried to find ANY kind of data stored on those CDs, thinking perhaps they had not been 'finalized' or something but there is not a single byte recorded on them in any way.

So thanks Don Jose for your successful attempt to divert attention away from your long-promised Tayopa book, and when/if I do ever get the time to go dig the dead PC back out of storage I will sure give it one more try as it was a lot of work in it. But don't hold your breath either - the hard drive did not even power up when connected separately, and I have plenty on my plate for some time to come, and it is unknown how long the 'lead time' is for a publisher to even get it published and on the market - could be another year after that.

:coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2:

Loke

Mar 24, 2010
Republic of Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
'Like' is not really what I mean - but there is no 'Dislike' or 'OMG' - so 'Like' it has to be ...
Sorry about your dead PC, in the past I have sometimes been able to recover a no-spinup-disk by either 'frying it' (well, not literally, but make it good and warm) OR freezing it, ie put it in the freezer for a couple of hours (or outside if you live in SD!!) and then try to connect it - but alas, it doesn't always work ... :-(

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
'Like' is not really what I mean - but there is no 'Dislike' or 'OMG' - so 'Like' it has to be ...
Sorry about your dead PC, in the past I have sometimes been able to recover a no-spinup-disk by either 'frying it' (well, not literally, but make it good and warm) OR freezing it, ie put it in the freezer for a couple of hours (or outside if you live in SD!!) and then try to connect it - but alas, it doesn't always work ... :-(

Thanks pard however this is not even news, and Don Jose knew it, when I told him about it back when it happened well over a year ago. I think it is closer to two now. Heck may be more, had bought that laptop to replace it, and that is now at least a year old (the one I managed to crack the monitor on). I packed that dead PC in the mail truck, and it is now deeply buried behind boxes and since it is unheated, I don't fool myself with high hopes that it may yet be saved. On that topic though just recently learned that the USB "stick" or 'thumb. drives are not 100% trustworthy either, had saved the Reno court transcripts on that and found the files have become corrupted, sitting in a special padded box! Oh well at least THAT I can find online again. But as to that MSS on ancient explorers, it would almost mean having to start from scratch, and begging for photos again.

But Real de Tayopa knew all this back when it happened, he only wanted to divert attention away from HIS book that so many people are waiting for. That was why he brought it up as if he did not know about the computer crash! :laughing7: He is one sneaky devil, you have to watch him all the time!

I hope all is well with you and that nasty weather mess missed you entirely. Now if only the fellow that brought up the WHY about the Franciscans got kicked out would take the time to explain, perhaps we can get this thread back on track? :tongue3:

OP
OP
R

Randy Bradford

Jun 27, 2004
Thanks pard however this is not even news, and Don Jose knew it, when I told him about it back when it happened well over a year ago. I think it is closer to two now. Heck may be more, had bought that laptop to replace it, and that is now at least a year old (the one I managed to crack the monitor on). I packed that dead PC in the mail truck, and it is now deeply buried behind boxes and since it is unheated, I don't fool myself with high hopes that it may yet be saved. On that topic though just recently learned that the USB "stick" or 'thumb. drives are not 100% trustworthy either, had saved the Reno court transcripts on that and found the files have become corrupted, sitting in a special padded box! Oh well at least THAT I can find online again. But as to that MSS on ancient explorers, it would almost mean having to start from scratch, and begging for photos again.

But Real de Tayopa knew all this back when it happened, he only wanted to divert attention away from HIS book that so many people are waiting for. That was why he brought it up as if he did not know about the computer crash! :laughing7: He is one sneaky devil, you have to watch him all the time!

I hope all is well with you and that nasty weather mess missed you entirely. Now if only the fellow that brought up the WHY about the Franciscans got kicked out would take the time to explain, perhaps we can get this thread back on track? :tongue3:

When it comes to data storage, NOTHING is completely dependable. Anything can fall prey to the ravages of time, the elements, or bad luck. Redundancy is your key though doing it well can be a pain, though always worth it. I unusually depend on both thumb drives for specific projects (like a book) and a larger portable drive to back up my whole system. That I update maybe every 6 months (daylight savings time is a great reminder...use that to rotate food storage too), while the thumb drives I use as needed for whatever I work on. Two backups is a minimum though, but don't drive yourself crazy worrying about it. I do the same with hard copies. I always have an original that I can copy from and a second "working copy" that I don't mind writing on, bending the pages, or getting food on if I decide to read something over lunch. You get the idea.

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other

Hey, Oro, is the book that you lost the one that you were writing about worldwide cultural diffusion? If so, I'm very sorry to hear about it. I've lately gone to USB flash drives for my backups (which I do manually, but not often enough). I don't trust mechanical drives, CD/DVD's or the almighty clouds.

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Hey, Oro, is the book that you lost the one that you were writing about worldwide cultural diffusion? If so, I'm very sorry to hear about it. I've lately gone to USB flash drives for my backups (which I do manually, but not often enough). I don't trust mechanical drives, CD/DVD's or the almighty clouds.

Yes, though not really about worldwide cultural diffusion; mainly focused on ancient explorers visiting the Americas. Evidence of the voyages as well as some cultural diffusion however does range right around the globe, as with the sweet potatoes or chickens for examples.

Scar

Dec 25, 2010
I have stacks of old hard drives. Finally started using Carbonite and quit worrying about backing up files. A surge in power will generally blow the power supply or the motherboard. Some components can just fry on their on.

Scar

Dec 25, 2010
Don Jose it is cloud backup and costs about 60 bucks a year. All you need is a connection to the internet and you can access your files from any computer. I have had it for about 3 or 4 years and had to use it one time to restore all my files about a year ago when the system got corrupted and kept rebooting.

captain1965

Apr 12, 2015
Mesa
Detector(s) used
fisher gemini 3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Freezing a hard drive worked. For me. I had to keep it plugged in while in the freezer because it would heat up fast.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread