Jetco Mustang

mech

Jun 4, 2006
St Petersburg, Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
In-laws found this at a garage sale in illinois and sent it to me. $3!

Its a Jetco Mustang Treasure finder metal detector. From what I can find its a early 70's machine.
Outward appearances it looks in decent shape..but after a new battery and air test it needs some TLC and a little work. (screeches like hell on an aluminum can but not a blip on a coin or gold ring)

I opened it up and found the coil wires have been resoldered. Red, Black and a cable shield wire.
The red wire is not soldered to anything and appears to have been cut. see picture below.

From a visual inspection I cannot tell where it may go to. Does anyone have one of these ancient machines or a wiring diagram?

Thanks in advance,

Attachments

• jetcomustang.JPG
    jetcomustang.JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 6,015
OP
OP
mech

mech

Jun 4, 2006
St Petersburg, Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
cheezinoot said:
Keyword Jetco MustangMetal Detectors on Google

Dear Mr Cheezinoot,

Your advice is good but I had already found that googling "Jetco Mustang Metal Detectors"
gives me 192 hits on 6 pages all which do not answer my question. I find alot of expired EBay sales or forum posts about how it was someones "first detector in 1972..or what a piece of crap it is". :)
So I posted to this very excellent and knowledgable forum for help.
I specifically require a picture of the PCB where the coil wires are soldered in or a wiring diagram/schematic.

Thanks anyway,
HH and cheers.

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Jetco Huntmaster, It works very well, $15.00 yard sale buy.

Fossis.........................

history hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2007
Menasha WI.
Detector(s) used
Nox 800 AT Max, Mine lab se pro/ Teknetics 7500 / teknetics 8000 / fisher m-scope (aquanut) 1280x/2ea compass relic magnum 6 /compass yukon 77b (professional) /compass yukon 71b
The jetco mustang was my first MD, given to me by my Dad in 1969. I don't have it anymore though, because my Dad put it back up for sale in his store after he gave me my first compass MD in 1970/1971. Good luck. HH

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jetco Mustangs are excellent for finding lost automobiles........IF you lose it within 10 feet of where you're standing. Hey, it was MY first detector, 40 years ago. I know of what I speak. :coffee2:

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
history hunter said:
The jetco mustang was my first MD, given to me by my Dad in 1969. I don't have it anymore though, because my Dad put it back up for sale in his store after he gave me my first compass MD in 1970/1971. Good luck. HH

:o :o :o

1969 detected six years before I was born?
By God! .... I'm a newbie. :laughing7:

bill-USA

Jun 29, 2004
Somewhere in the US and probably in motion.
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
If I remember correctly, the Jetco was a BFO (beat frequency oscillator) machine. Had a knob on top to tune the beat. Used to run my just muttering like a motorcycle on idle. It would detect any metal within it's reach by modifying the beat. It's reach wasn't terrific.

Try the knobs on the top if any and see if you can get one of them to tune the beat, then drop a quarter and see what happens.

It sounds like it's might be working if it sounded off on a can, get the beat slowed down try it again. Note tune the beat on a piece of ground that you know has no metal in the area. Air tuning will give misleading results.

Best of luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread