Operator: Grand Canyon Airlines / Helitech
Flight #: 6 / 2
Route: Grand Canyon - Grand Canyon
AC Type: de Havilland Can. DHC-6 -300/ Bell 206B
cn / ln: 248 /
Aboard: 25 (passengers:22 crew:3)
Fatalities: 25 (passengers:22 crew:3)
Ground: 0
Summary: Midair collision. Inadequate visual lookout on the part of both aircraft. Twenty killed on the de Havilland and five on the Helitech. The failure of the flightcrew of both aircraft to see and avoid each other for undetermined reasons.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Or is it this one?
ACCIDENT DETAILS

Date: June 30, 1956
Time: 10:32
Operator: United Air Lines / Trans World Airlines
Flight #: 718 / 2
Route: Los Angeles - Chicago / Los Angeles - Kansas City
AC Type: Douglas DC-7 / Lockheed S Constellation
cn / ln: 44288 / 4016
Aboard: 128 (passengers:117 crew:11)
Fatalities: 128 (passengers:117 crew:11)
Ground: 0
Summary: The TWA aircraft flying from Los Angeles to Kansas City and the United Aircraft flying from Los Angeles to Chicago collided over the Grand Canyon. Both planes were traveling about 320 mph. Both aircraft were flying in uncontrolled airspace. All fifty-eight on the DC-7 and seventy on the Constellation killed. The pilots did not see each other in time to avoid the collision. It is not possible to determine why the pilots did not see each other, but the evidence suggests that it resulted from any one or a combination of the following factors: 1) Intervening clouds reducing time for visual separation 2) Visual limitations due to cockpit visibility 3) Preoccupation with normal cockpit duties.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Either way it is sort of a macabre hunt, no? I was present at the Runway 19 crash out of O'hare almost 25 years ago. 275 lost there. Are these good MD'ing or treasure hunting sites? I would think not.

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
Only two known good crashes with cash ejected. One was in Pennsylvania and another in New Mexico. Lord knows how many returning dope smugglers went down with their cash aboard along the borders. There are also crashes in Alaska with gold aboard and a few in Canada. Where the crash site is modern and the location known the "black box" guys scoop up most of the debris and luggage for the accident reconstructionists. Where the site of the crash is unknown you might find something and help to bring closure to the families of the victims. Siegfried Schlagrule

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Hey Siegfried,
It is no small secret that a LOT of the money going out of the country for the cartels was flown out by small plane flights originating farther inland from places in Tennessee, Arkansas and Louisiana. A lot of these flights carried extraordinary amounts of cash as well. It would be really nice to find a bundle of a couple mill at such a crash site.

I wonder if anyone has ever recovered such, but I guess it would behoove them to keep a low profile, hey? I have a friend who lived in the keys and did find some sizable quantities of washed up drugs among other things some years back, but no cash.

Anyway, the bones and the weather are cooperating today so I'm looking forward to doing some exhaustive work downstream. Will let ya know how it turns out!

G

goldpanco

a lot of the drug runners were dumping bales of marawana while being chased by the dea the bales washed up on the key islands a lot of the beachcomers
had fun

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread