What's new

Jiminy Christmas! Just found my oldest US coin!

winslow

Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2004
Messages
448
Reaction score
1,644
Golden Thread
2
Location
Oregon, No Cal Border
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Max, Equinox 900
Earlier this week I found my oldest silver coin in Oregon and it was an 1826 British Shilling. This beat my record of an 1849 seated dime. Went back to same area again (about one acre of targets) and found a 1842 seated dime. Two records broken in one week! Unfortunately, the dime is drilled but it still counts.

Also found what looks like a drawer pull (maybe a finial?) and part of a solid brass spur. Still digging solid ferrous targets such as broken horse and mule shoes etc.

Three seated coins for the week and an old silver shilling. Makes all those times I got skunked of coins worth while and believe me it happens a lot when searching for the old stuff.

The property owners came by while I was detecting and they are excited about what I'm finding on their property. They offered to plow the field that is currently in pasture. I think it was last plowed about 20 years ago. Awesome!
 

Attachments

  • caprice spur alt 12-15.webp
    caprice spur alt 12-15.webp
    79.4 KB · Views: 179
  • Caprice drawer pull 12-15.webp
    Caprice drawer pull 12-15.webp
    99.6 KB · Views: 173
  • caprice 1842 seated in ground.webp
    caprice 1842 seated in ground.webp
    44.3 KB · Views: 171
  • caprice 1842 seated fnt alt.webp
    caprice 1842 seated fnt alt.webp
    163 KB · Views: 172
  • caprice 1842 seated rev.webp
    caprice 1842 seated rev.webp
    52.4 KB · Views: 179
Upvote 34
Congrats on your oldest coin, and making it a silver is a little sweeter.
 
WTG! That's really cool.
 
I like the fact that it is holed. Nice job on the great permission.
 
You definitely had a killer week. Nice seated. Congrats!
 
Great spot you got
 
Congrats on digging your oldest. I see older ones in your future. :headbang:
 
Drilled or not, if you can get a date off of it, it counts ! Congrats on your oldest so far.
 
Holed or not, great find! Congrats!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom