spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joe is one of the best blues singers around, and does a great job on all of his cover songs. I was surprised to hear him sing "Can't find My Way Home", from Blind faith. I have most of his CD's including the Silver Anniversary CD, that contains about 8 previously unreleased songs. He had one soulful and bluesy voice for a skinny white male when he started, and just got better over the years.

OP
OP
goldie1959

goldie1959

Oct 7, 2007
michigan
Detector(s) used
garrett ultra gta 500
i believe joe and janis actually had terrible singing voices but for the blues ,great. but the gave it all the had i think thats what also showed thru thats why mama cass at monteray said "WOW". thanks for the reply . joe doing black eyed blues is a classic.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't say his voice is terrible, just very raspy and unique as far as singers. The one thing that drove me crazy was just watching him perform, he always looked so spastic. Another singer like him would be Rod Stewart, not a great singing voice, but still an interesting raspy voice. I think that sets them apart from other singers that have more of a melodic tone.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mrs.oroblanco said:
Rod Stewart does have talent in more than one class of music, though. He is versatile.

B

Don't get me wrong, I love Rod Stewart along with Joe Cocker & Phil Collins. I was just saying their voices are not as melodic as most singers, but this sets them far apart and above the others in my opinion.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
True, true.

I do like Rod Stewart - now, Phil Collins, I can count on one hand the songs I like of his. (and I cannot pinpoint why, either).

I did figure out, years ago, that I like music that is played in minors. Not counting the singers in the equation, of course, I like songs that are in the minor chords - which is why I used to like REM.

B

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mrs.oroblanco said:
True, true.

I do like Rod Stewart - now, Phil Collins, I can count on one hand the songs I like of his. (and I cannot pinpoint why, either).

I did figure out, years ago, that I like music that is played in minors. Not counting the singers in the equation, of course, I like songs that are in the minor chords - which is why I used to like REM.

B

It's so funny how you think of Phil Collins. What I mean is that I know exactly what you mean in a sense. My example is Led Zeppelin, a great rock band with many classic songs and yet I only have 2 of their CD's :icon_scratch: As far as Phil goes, few of his records were hits, but I loved most of them, perhaps because I enjoyed his drumming too. I have posted on drummers today, and among them is a Phil Collins song Lorenzo, try and give it a listen. I think you may find the rhythms interesting.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love drumming (good drumming) too.

One of the very best drummers I've even heard - his name is Alan Greenberg - man - he did NOT need a band. And he could (and did) play with almost any kind of band. (any genre).

His rendition of "Wipe-Out" was a religious experience.

Beth

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mrs.oroblanco said:
I love drumming (good drumming) too.

One of the very best drummers I've even heard - his name is Alan Greenberg - man - he did NOT need a band. And he could (and did) play with almost any kind of band. (any genre).

His rendition of "Wipe-Out" was a religious experience.

Beth

'Wipe-Out", now that brought me back and made me laugh. "Wipe-Out", is to drummers, as "House of The Rising Sun", to guitarists. They were the first pieces you learned in my time :laughing9: The only problem with "Wipe-out", is that Joe Cocker can't sing it ;D

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been a Joe Cocker Fan since 1968..

Here are a few of his early and some of his later.

Earliest video I can find of Joe is with his band "The Grease Band" in 1968 (1966-1969) This is when I first heard Joe Cocker....

Woodstock 1969

And just for fun..............

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I especially loved that last video with John Belushi :headbang: You have to admit that Joe was a great sport in that little parody and John did a great job in singing too. Joe is still my all time best male solo performer, I will never tire of hearing him.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread