Aug 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Irishgoldhound

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Omg! I Just read the story. He’s one hardcore hunter. I really hope he’s ok. Thoughts and prayers to you OBN!

Last edited:

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My good friend Joe, you are in my prayers and my thoughts. I’m praying for speedy recovery.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What makes you think this is OBN ? ? ?

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have talked to him on quite a few occasions and he regularly goes out this time of year, that is his general area ( think) he works. I don't know of anyone else who does. Praying whoever it is has no long lasting harm.

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Suggest we confirm this was our friend OBN by someone who knows him personally.

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
A post from Tom Dankowski's forum:

Thanks to CCadrin

Re: Joe Beechnut OBN in detecting accident, prayers!
January 15, 2021 03:48AM Registered: 1 year ago
This text was taken from Friendly Forum.

"Talked to Joe tonight , he sounded a bit rough , however he said he will be able to go home this weekend , hazards of water hunting in neck deep tidal waters , he said he fell in a hole went down for about 5 seconds , than was belly up suffering from hypothermia & near drowning floating about 110-150 yards off shore , he yelled for help , he was lucky this time 2 people herd his cry for help , and called rescue , water temp 40 degrees , he got a chopper ride to the hospital , he did say that he might take a year off from hunting, this could happen to anyone , even a pro like Joe , i am sure glad to get relief my buddy is still with us , hope that he makes a full recovery , Earl PS OBN Port side Belly up rescue , he did say his rotator cuff sustained injury when they pulled him from the water , hope that will be ok ."

Let's pray that he is ok and a fast recovery.

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a total chicken. I don't even like going to my wide open permissions by myself.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad OBN is doing okay. He told me he wears an emergency floatation vest, it may be what saved his life.

I was hunting the outer sandbar on Daytona beach one day when it collapsed and I went under about 7 feet, tried to walk up the wall of the sand bar carrying 5 lb scoop and 4 pound detector but it kept collapsing, it came to the point I was ready to drop both and swim to surface but was finally able to walk up. Drowning in this hobby is not an option....

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Prayers sent to you my friend Joe

Hell if i did not have my foot in a cast - I'd be out there now too
Joe knows I was/am a die hard cold water hunter too
I have had hypothermia myself like 3 times - only cause Ive pushed it
when Ive gotten in a good spot - It took me yrs to get the right cold water suit configuration
where I can go out for around 2-3 hrs and get tired before i get cold
hard to get it thru my head that no matter how well you are doing - not to push it - tomorrows another day

Be well my friend - warm weather will be here soon
to everyone out there - be safe - live and learn
Joe is one of the best out there and has taught a lot out there - learn from this too

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wishing Joe a speedy recovery. And thanks to the OP for posting this. In addition to being alerted to Joe's rescue and now, the start of his recovery, this is a warning to us all about the hazards of cold water. The bright sunny warm days near 60 are oh so tempting, but the hypothermia threat of 40 degree water is real. Glad he was wearing a float vest.

I hunt fossils south of his area but this time of year, I wait for blowouts from strong W winds so I don't need to wade deeper along the Cliffs than my knees. A wading accident combined with a strong W wind would blow a person out toward the channel, even with flotation.

I'm looking forward to reading Joe's account of this and his recommendations when he recovers.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad OBN is doing okay. He told me he wears an emergency floatation vest, it may be what saved his life.

I was hunting the outer sandbar on Daytona beach one day when it collapsed and I went under about 7 feet, tried to walk up the wall of the sand bar carrying 5 lb scoop and 4 pound detector but it kept collapsing, it came to the point I was ready to drop both and swim to surface but was finally able to walk up. Drowning in this hobby is not an option....
I wear a wet suit 7mm everything in winter waters - no weight belt - im able to stand and hunt in 6ft waters with no prob
i know many cant - for me its like walking on the moon - has to do with my body make up - if i lift my feet off the sea floor
i will float up and onto my back - or my front if i choose cause i wear a mask and snorkel
to scoop being buoyant i use what i call the "ghost or Casper bounce" I get a signal and place scoop down
I take a deep breathe and flaot a little and then exhale and place foot on back of scoop
I will the push off and exahle and push scoop in - i got it down to a science and comes natural to me
many others might not be able to do this - works for me
attachment.php
Few winters ago
heading out to hunt in a blizzard
attachment.php

Megalodon

Silver Member
May 13, 2018
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Tesoro Cibola
Tesoro Golden Sabre Plus
Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its easy to overlook risks on beautiful bright sunny days like this. I declined an invitation for a fossil hunt south of Joe's location early this morning that involved a long walk along the top of the Cliffs, climbing under & over fallen trees, then scrambling down through poison ivy and greenbriar and locust thorns to the beach. From the beach, we usually wade across the mouth of a creek with a strong current and eroding bottom that is always shifting. We could avoid all that if we chose to trespass, and many do.
I'm hoping that my son avoids the temptation to put his son on his shoulders and wade across that creek.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stay safe people....know your limits...listen to the little voice of reason in your head and try not to push the envelope. Keep your body fueled, hydrated,and healthy. The ocean can be a gentle beauty or a brutal bi..h.

Joe....im so sorry for your predicament.....so happy that your still here to hunt another day. god bless you and get well soon my fellow ocean hunting friend. Let's all slow down a minute and really think of the worst case scenario and not just the best case scenario. Even the most die hard salvors here in the tropical keys hang up there fins for the winter except for the clearest calmest days. Strong winds, zero visibility, and ripping currents stop even us old conchs from going in this time of year. The treasure will be there in the spring. As a salvor on a treasure boat its up to me to say " sorry cap....conditions are just to bad to work down there" 50 ft deep, no vis, strong current, cold water, and a full load of gear on an umbilical rig can be a challenge in the best of weather !!

Thats why you guys see me up in the mangroves this time of year.....and even that has the risk of mechanical injury far off grid and out of distance for immediate rescue. Think before you act and look before you leap....lesson learned here for me is even the most experienced hunters can have an accident in the blink of an eye....none of us are bullet proof even if we think so sometimes....I am humbled and a more cautious man from this joe....GOT to be cautious out there people...the ocean is not to be taken lightly or trifled with. That being said....I wish Joe a speedy recovery and many more days in the ocean....get well buddy !!

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very difficult to push the like button on this.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread