Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Joe's Excellent Day - Found/Returned Gold Band and 1st Platinum Band - UPDATE

My day started out quietly enough. Before 8:00 AM I responded to a lost ring ad in Craigslist for Sunset Beach. California.

Anthony responded back just before noon. He wasn't sure he could meet me to narrow down the loss area but said he'd try. He gave me fair locating distances.

I planned to get out there by close to 5:00 PM and was only about 10 minutes late. Anthony wasn't there so I just started to detect anyway. I went in an opposite direction for the first 2 minutes and then got on track for the next 3 minutes. Picked up 3 nails and 4 bottle caps and then this strange looking buckle? But wait...Anthony told me it was an unusual square wedding ring. I look on the inside and it's round and the square is sort of twisted on the outside. It has Tiffany markings and 750. WAA ..HOO...I call my wife and tell her I think I might have found the ring.

Still no Anthony. But I continued on a ways farther. I find a dime in the wet sand and then a couple of pennies and there coming towards me must be Anthony. I question him on the specifics of the ring and then casually pull out the ring from my pocket.

---Looks something like this?---

He stares at the ring and I get the weird feeling it's not his ring. But it's only shock and he finally tries it on..it's 11.5 and quite large.

--YES it's my Ring!--

He tells me to wait (with the ring) while he gets some cash from the 7-11. He comes back with the $100 reward and I realize there's no way to even try to refuse it so I just thank him and shake his hand. He tells me he phoned his wife from the 7-11 and she screamed with joy at the ring being found. Yeah, they were both happy..and it sure is a great feeling to have been successful at reuniting him with the ring.

He took these photos of me and the ring. I tried to take a photo of him with the ring (his iphone) but it seems it didn't work.

and a close up of the ring..a real strange one..almost an optical illusion.

But wait...there's more!

It was too early to quit so I decided to go to my usual beach for another hour. The hour passed quickly. I found an unopened , small bottle of Chardonnay and put it in my back pocket until I met a young couple visiting from Germany. I asked them if they'd like the wine since I don't like to drink (but am easily forced). They accepted gladly.

The sun had set and I was meandering back to my car, cutting across the beach diagonally, and not really caring since I had that $100 in my pocket. A couple signals proved to be nails but I was completely mellow. Then just 5 feet from the sidewalk I decided to turn off the detector...but wait..one more signal. In the semi-darkness I could see it was a ring but not exactly what kind, junk, Silver or Gold (It was NONE of those!)

Here it is: my first Platinum band

Posted Image

Yeah, It was a Most Excellent Day! 9-9-9

HH Joe

Attachments

• Ring Found 9-9-9 sm.jpg
    Ring Found 9-9-9 sm.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 1,609
  • Ring Found 9-9-9 2sm.jpg
    Ring Found 9-9-9 2sm.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 1,602
  • Ring plat 9-9-9 sm.jpg
    Ring plat 9-9-9 sm.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 1,547

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Joe's Excellent Day - Double Rings

wow Doc talk about a day :icon_thumleft: talk about good karma returning not only did you get the reward but got the karma back on the platnum :icon_thumright: wtg awsome hearing this` .

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great story, Tank hit the nail on the head with karma. No gold for you, just Platinum :headbang:

Bob S

Bronze Member
Oct 4, 2008
Laguna Hills California
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites V3

WTG Joe

Attachments

• Smiley T up.gif
    Smiley T up.gif
    71.1 KB · Views: 1,418
  • Smiley T up.gif
    Smiley T up.gif
    71.1 KB · Views: 1,379

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

holy cow that was a great day. congrats on the plat.

homer007

Jan 11, 2008
BAIBRIDGE GA
Detector(s) used
WHITE PI PRO, TIGER SHARK,TESORO DELEON/XLT® E-Series Metal Detector. Whites PI Pro Detector
Re: Joe's Excellent Day - Found/Returned Gold Band and 1st Platinum Band

WAY TO GO :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

WTG Joe! You can look at people in the eye and know they want you to sincerly take the money, because they feel good about it, you don't feel guilty about taking it. Congrats on your first plat to, something I have'nt found yet! :icon_thumright:

Big A

Mar 28, 2009
Southport, NC
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300

Great recovery and return, the plat. ring isn't bad either. Congrats on both.

realtexmex

Greenie
Nov 5, 2006
Mesquite TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250

That is a fantastic story! :icon_thumleft: Hats off to you!

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

good day all around I'd say :icon_thumright:

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

WTG "Good Samaritan". Definetly an act of kindness. WTG. Hope the guy who lost the ring will look at the world just a little differently. There are still good people walking amoung us. WTG Joe :headbang:

OP
OP
DrJoePrime

DrJoePrime

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Re: Joe's Excellent Day - Found/Returned Gold Band and 1st Platinum Band -UPDATE

Anthony put a really nice UPDATE to his LOST ad.

HH Joe

"Lost and now FOUND - Square Ring - $$$Reward (Sunset Beach )
Date: 2009-09-08, 7:52PM PDT

I lost my wedding ring in the sand at Sunset Beach around 9th street Sunday Morning. My bag was 50 yrds to the east of lifeguard tower 10 and fairly close to the shore. It may have possibly fallen out in the parking lot between 9th and 10th but I think it was closer to the sand.

It's a square looking ring, dark in color, has a lot of scratches, it's fits a pretty big ring finger (12.5 ring size).

I'm happy to offer $100 cash reward if it's found.

Thank you!

***UPDATE***

I was contacted by Dr Joe who is a metal detector enthusiast and helps people in search of lost items in the sand. He replied to posting offering assistance and found the ring right where I thought I had lost it!!! This guy is super nice and extremely helpful. I promised a reward and gladly gave it to him because he is that great and honest. I plan not to lose this ring again, but in the off chance I do, I know who to contact. So if you get an email from Dr Joe offering help, definitely see if he can help."

BRASSF

Jan 18, 2007
Deltona, FL
Detector(s) used
2 sticks
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: Joe's Excellent Day - Found/Returned Gold Band and 1st Platinum Band - UPDATE

Now that was a great update for a lost item by Anthony

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread