If you ask one that don't know then it's just easier for them to say no when in fact there's no law on the books against it, and can even make them think about making a law against it even though it was never a problem in the first place. Just make sure to cut a neat plug and take a hand towel to put the extra dirt on as its impossible to get all of the dirt out of the grass around your hole, most county and city parks it's fine in and all state parks, state land, and federal land is off limits as it's illegal in state parks, state land, and federal land in Indiana. I detected a little city park that the grounds keeper said it's really off limits but he said he was watching me and how I was doing it was fine as he couldn't tell I even dug a hole when I was done, and those were deep silvers at 10"+ which goes to show taking the extra effort to leave it with no trace is worth it. HH