Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Surprising finds on Sunday morning

Very early hunt today from 7-9AM, a few showers, but a good hunt. How fitting was it to find a miniature figurine of Joseph and Jesus on Sunday? This hunt "rocked" for me. You know that you've got to go slow to find the good stuff, but even though I had just two hours, the results were satisfying. The trash I dug was deep iron. Amazingly, this is the 6th consecutive hunt with one or more indians; meet number 17 from this park - an 1893. Pins and cuff links (one is sterling) show this is an area where people picnicked. Even found a button and a Jimmie Allen flying cadet pin.

1893IHP.jpg button.jpg Cufflinks.jpg Joseph and Son.jpg pins.jpg

Upvote 11

cambria09

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab Sovereign Elite, Mine Lab Etrac, Garrett ATMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello McCDig. Nice finds. It's always nice to go home with multiple finds especially after a short hunt. BTW your "FCB" pin is a Knights of Pythias item, an interesting club began after the Civil War. See link.

Order of Knights of Pythias

Thanks for the post and good luck. C9

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet digs for a 2 hour hunt. It has been a good year for digging IHPs.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks C9, A Pythian knight lost his link.....sometime after 1864 and before today. Don't think I've had another hunt that had more variety of older items.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
L-C, hope you get that 1877 one of these days! A 1909S would be sweet, too.

CoilFisher

Jul 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I gotta ask how deep you were pulling these with that monster coil on the F-75?

Nice finds!!!

Got to love the old picnic grounds.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Surprising finds on Sunday morning

Very early hunt today from 7-9AM, a few showers, but a good hunt. How fitting was it to find a miniature figurine of Joseph and Jesus on Sunday? This hunt "rocked" for me. You know that you've got to go slow to find the good stuff, but even though I had just two hours, the results were satisfying. The trash I dug was deep iron. Amazingly, this is the 6th consecutive hunt with one or more indians; meet number 17 from this park - an 1893. Pins and cuff links (one is sterling) show this is an area where people picnicked. Even found a button and a Jimmie Allen flying cadet pin.

View attachment 1230205 View attachment 1230206 View attachment 1230207 View attachment 1230208 View attachment 1230209

Those are all good finds - congrats.

"You know that you've got to go slow to find the good stuff"
The above statement will improve your odds in small unploughed fields, but its the opposite of how I hunt in the UK. Speed is my secret, & with a forgiving big coil the main aim is to cover systematically 1 man, 1 acre in 4 hours. You can't do large areas slowly, unless your willing to drop your find rate & good finds significantly. Something to think about & remember. However, with speed needs to come quick recovery & those finds/trash need to be beep-dig-pouch in 20 seconds or less.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
CF, with most of these targets I do not get down to the target with the plug removed. I have to go another 4 to 5 inches beyond, so it ends up being about 10 - 11 inches for a significant percentage.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Pretty good for such a short hunt! That IH is in really good shape.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Crusader,

I will remember your words if an opportunity arises to hit a plowed field. With park hunting it is often the issue that adjacent "junk" targets mask the ones you'd like to find, so the park hunting approach I described is certainly limited to that environment. Additionally, the signals I'm seeking are weak to begin with, so I slow down so as not to miss them.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi CG,

Thanks. I was not sure I'd find a coin in that area, when I was digging everything but that. Very happy with the IHP!

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Wheatfinder, It is rare to find a miniature statue. I'm no Latinist but I appreciate your quote, much the same as Handel's SDG on his manuscript. Soli_deo_gloria.jpg

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
MR.DIG YOU GOT SOME NICE FINDS ........

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Sutphin. I go out for a hunt now expecting that something old will turn up. The NEL coil has made a difference, as well as some experience over the past few weeks.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crusader,

I will remember your words if an opportunity arises to hit a plowed field. With park hunting it is often the issue that adjacent "junk" targets mask the ones you'd like to find, so the park hunting approach I described is certainly limited to that environment. Additionally, the signals I'm seeking are weak to begin with, so I slow down so as not to miss them.

Yeap, totally understand, methods change from site to site & your approach is spot on for that senario. Just thought I would throw in the other perspective.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Crusader,
Have seen videos of finds in plowed fields of England and Germany....Amazing! Since many "good" targets are shallow, but often sparsely located, I can see how your approach nets you more finds.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks ATW, A greeny for sure. Just scraped off most the surface dirt. Will be out looking for more tomorrow, Lord willing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread