What's new

Joseph and Jesus

McCDig

Silver Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2015
Messages
3,753
Reaction score
9,039
Golden Thread
1
Location
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Surprising finds on Sunday morning


Very early hunt today from 7-9AM, a few showers, but a good hunt. How fitting was it to find a miniature figurine of Joseph and Jesus on Sunday? This hunt "rocked" for me. You know that you've got to go slow to find the good stuff, but even though I had just two hours, the results were satisfying. The trash I dug was deep iron. Amazingly, this is the 6th consecutive hunt with one or more indians; meet number 17 from this park - an 1893. Pins and cuff links (one is sterling) show this is an area where people picnicked. Even found a button and a Jimmie Allen flying cadet pin.

1893IHP.webpbutton.webpCufflinks.webpJoseph and Son.webppins.webp
 
Upvote 22
Hello McCDig. Nice finds. It's always nice to go home with multiple finds especially after a short hunt. BTW your "FCB" pin is a Knights of Pythias item, an interesting club began after the Civil War. See link.

Order of Knights of Pythias

Thanks for the post and good luck. C9
 
Sweet digs for a 2 hour hunt. It has been a good year for digging IHPs.
 
Thanks C9, A Pythian knight lost his link.....sometime after 1864 and before today. Don't think I've had another hunt that had more variety of older items.
 
L-C, hope you get that 1877 one of these days! A 1909S would be sweet, too.
 
I gotta ask how deep you were pulling these with that monster coil on the F-75?

Nice finds!!!

Got to love the old picnic grounds.
 
Surprising finds on Sunday morning


Very early hunt today from 7-9AM, a few showers, but a good hunt. How fitting was it to find a miniature figurine of Joseph and Jesus on Sunday? This hunt "rocked" for me. You know that you've got to go slow to find the good stuff, but even though I had just two hours, the results were satisfying. The trash I dug was deep iron. Amazingly, this is the 6th consecutive hunt with one or more indians; meet number 17 from this park - an 1893. Pins and cuff links (one is sterling) show this is an area where people picnicked. Even found a button and a Jimmie Allen flying cadet pin.

View attachment 1230205View attachment 1230206View attachment 1230207View attachment 1230208View attachment 1230209

Those are all good finds - congrats.

"You know that you've got to go slow to find the good stuff"
The above statement will improve your odds in small unploughed fields, but its the opposite of how I hunt in the UK. Speed is my secret, & with a forgiving big coil the main aim is to cover systematically 1 man, 1 acre in 4 hours. You can't do large areas slowly, unless your willing to drop your find rate & good finds significantly. Something to think about & remember. However, with speed needs to come quick recovery & those finds/trash need to be beep-dig-pouch in 20 seconds or less.:thumbsup:
 
Last edited:
CF, with most of these targets I do not get down to the target with the plug removed. I have to go another 4 to 5 inches beyond, so it ends up being about 10 - 11 inches for a significant percentage.
 
Pretty good for such a short hunt! That IH is in really good shape.
 
Crusader,

I will remember your words if an opportunity arises to hit a plowed field. With park hunting it is often the issue that adjacent "junk" targets mask the ones you'd like to find, so the park hunting approach I described is certainly limited to that environment. Additionally, the signals I'm seeking are weak to begin with, so I slow down so as not to miss them.
 
Hi CG,

Thanks. I was not sure I'd find a coin in that area, when I was digging everything but that. Very happy with the IHP!
 
Very cool statue!
 
Thanks Wheatfinder, It is rare to find a miniature statue. I'm no Latinist but I appreciate your quote, much the same as Handel's SDG on his manuscript.Soli_deo_gloria.webp
 
MR.DIG YOU GOT SOME NICE FINDS ........
 
Thanks Sutphin. I go out for a hunt now expecting that something old will turn up. The NEL coil has made a difference, as well as some experience over the past few weeks.
 
Crusader,

I will remember your words if an opportunity arises to hit a plowed field. With park hunting it is often the issue that adjacent "junk" targets mask the ones you'd like to find, so the park hunting approach I described is certainly limited to that environment. Additionally, the signals I'm seeking are weak to begin with, so I slow down so as not to miss them.

Yeap, totally understand, methods change from site to site & your approach is spot on for that senario. Just thought I would throw in the other perspective.
 
Crusader,
Have seen videos of finds in plowed fields of England and Germany....Amazing! Since many "good" targets are shallow, but often sparsely located, I can see how your approach nets you more finds.
 
Thanks ATW, A greeny for sure. Just scraped off most the surface dirt. Will be out looking for more tomorrow, Lord willing.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom