What's new

Just a curious chip of flint

EricTheCat

Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 4, 2011
Messages
494
Reaction score
546
Golden Thread
0
Location
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greetings everyone. I apologize in advance if I'm adding another geofact, just wanted to get some opinions on this chip of flint. I stumbled across it in my yard today while watching a distant storm with a friend (always checking the ground, are you that way too? :)). One edge looks sharpened along both sides of this, making me wonder if it is a utilized flake. That said, glaciers are always tricking me.

Thanks for looking and happy hunting.

YardStone-2016-06-25-Img_2267SSS.webp

YardStone-2016-06-25-Img_2267CSSS.webp

YardStone-2016-06-25-Img_2269SSS.webp

YardStone-2016-06-25-Img_2270SSS.webp

YardStone-2016-06-25-Img_2271SSS.webp

YardStone-2016-06-25-Img_2272SSS.webp

YardStone-2016-06-25-Img_2273SSS.webp

Storm-2016-06-25-IMG_1696S.webp

(edited to add a pic of the storm from where we were watching)
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
It looks worked to me but quartz can fool you sometimes.
 
Thanks Steve, I really appreciate your thoughts on this.

I couldn't help but look around the same spot today in the sun. Within a couple feet of where I found that one I found another really curious piece that almost looks like a graver tool. The spot is an area with a lot of rock and bare dirt because it is an area I only recently cleared and started mowing. The rain has moved a bit of the dirt there so I'm always checking out the rocks. I also noticed an old (but not ancient, glazed) piece of broken pottery and seeing things like that always make me think it is a place worth paying attention to.

YardStone-2016-06-26-Img_2608SSS.webp

YardStone-2016-06-26-Img_2615SSS.webp

YardStone-2016-06-26-Img_2609SSS.webp

YardStone-2016-06-26-Img_2610SSS.webp

YardStone-2016-06-26-Img_2612SSS.webp

YardStone-2016-06-26-Img_2613SSS.webp
 
The last pic in your first post looks like intentional flaking. Wish we had that storm here its dry. Hope everyone in North Carolina and W Virginia is safe!
 
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom