Copper longest
Steel/Bone depending on mass.
Marvin

cache finder

Dec 23, 2015
SF Bay Area
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ve been thinking about this for a while and I have no idea as to witch one of these materials would last longer while being buried underground for an extended perioded of time. Antler bone or medal. Be it copper or steel ?
Thanks for any feed back.

Copper, then the antler depending on the steel, someone just posted finding an antler handle knife and the blade was rusted gone but the antler was looking perfect.

OP
OP
Rocsteddie

Rocsteddie

Jun 17, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Copper, then the antler depending on the steel, someone just posted finding an antler handle knife and the blade was rusted gone but the antler was looking perfect.

The post you are referring to is in the BANNER scroll at top of Active Topics page and that is the reason I asked the question but I believe the bone handle was found separate from the blade and was reconstructed to fit the blade. JMO
The blade its self looks to be much more deteriorated than the bone handle that was attached to blade. IDK

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is not uncommon for bone/stag to be preserved well in the ground. Allot more so then wood. Depending on the soil they come out of also seems to be a factor. Have found a couple wood handled pocket knife's probably hundred fifty two hundred years old with all the wood intact. Both came out of low somewhat swampy ground. Am thinking that's why they where preserved so well?

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe a lot depends on the soil conditions.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread