What's new

Just a quick question .

Rocsteddie

Full Member
Joined
Jun 17, 2014
Messages
188
Reaction score
200
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
Other
I ve been thinking about this for a while and I have no idea as to witch one of these materials would last longer while being buried underground for an extended perioded of time. Antler bone or medal. Be it copper or steel ?
Thanks for any feed back.
 
Out of your choices you stated...
Copper will out last them all.
 
Copper longest
Steel/Bone depending on mass.
Marvin
 
I ve been thinking about this for a while and I have no idea as to witch one of these materials would last longer while being buried underground for an extended perioded of time. Antler bone or medal. Be it copper or steel ?
Thanks for any feed back.

Copper, then the antler depending on the steel, someone just posted finding an antler handle knife and the blade was rusted gone but the antler was looking perfect.
 
Copper, then the antler depending on the steel, someone just posted finding an antler handle knife and the blade was rusted gone but the antler was looking perfect.

The post you are referring to is in the BANNER scroll at top of Active Topics page and that is the reason I asked the question but I believe the bone handle was found separate from the blade and was reconstructed to fit the blade. JMO
The blade its self looks to be much more deteriorated than the bone handle that was attached to blade. IDK
 
It is not uncommon for bone/stag to be preserved well in the ground. Allot more so then wood. Depending on the soil they come out of also seems to be a factor. Have found a couple wood handled pocket knife's probably hundred fifty two hundred years old with all the wood intact. Both came out of low somewhat swampy ground. Am thinking that's why they where preserved so well?
 
I believe a lot depends on the soil conditions.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom