Just another Zinc cent... OR IS IT??? -NOPE, 1st indian head cent found!!

TheRockDoc

May 28, 2011
Hello hunters, I just wanted to throw this out there. I know there will be many variables (what machine you use, depth, soil conditions, coil, etc...) I have an etrac that i got in September of last year, and a couple weeks ago I spotted an area where a early 1900's house was torn down... I had found a few wheats, (no silvers)... when I got a zinc cent signal, pretty much on top of the ground. I immediately decided that it wasnt worth picking up when I had a vague little thought in the back of my mind. So now Im just passing that "thought" on for any other detectorist who may be fairly new like I am. I dont even remember who or where I heard that really old cents, (indians and also some wheats) will sound different, or have a different number than your modern copper cents... Well, I remembered this thought, swept over the area behing me to find this "zinc cent" and sure enough, less than an inch deep was a really old indian head cent, (I can see it is from the 18's but I cant make out the actual date). So the point is, it is extremely important to learn your machine and it's little nuances if you want to have success in this hobby... I think the only way to really do that, is to DIG EVERYTHING for a long long time...

Happy hunting everyone.

Upvote 0

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And know the area you are searching. Well done!

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool, I found my first Indian today too. I didn't pay any attention to the readout as I dig the sound. Posted pictures. Congratulations,hope you find more.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread