Just got a killer deal on an XLT and Beach Hunter, but not sure if they work right...

TheElementOfSand

Jul 19, 2012
Fort Wayne
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT E-series, Whites Beachhunter, Garrett Ace350, Garret 76'-77'Fortune Hunter, Cen-tech Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I am not sure if its because I am just too used to my Garrett ace 350 or if these detectors are acting wonky on me. The XLT works great but seemingly at random It will just start falsing like crazy and sometimes it goes away on its own in a minute or two and other times a battery pull doesn't even change anything. Redoing the ground balance has 0 effect on this crazy falsing, I suspected maybe it was overcompensating for the ground mineralization but since rebalancing doesn't change anything I don't think that's the issue here. I have tried different areas and made sure to not carry my phone and still had falsing issues randomly. Other than that it works great and I have found a handful of common clad so far in the past week. Ok as far as the beach hunter...I am completely new to manual ground balancing, but I seem to have gotten over that slight learning curve but I noticed the ground balance drifts constantly and I find myself having to fiddle with it every 5 minutes or so to get it back in sync. I pulled a few pull tabs and 2 clad pennies from the beach so I know it works but that seems crazy to have to adjust that often. First hung out in the sand for half an hour then moved into the water for half an hour and both places I had to adjust balance seemingly too often. So What I'm looking for here is someone who owns one or both to relate and let me know if they have the same issues or if this is odd to them. Also would be great if someone from whites could actually chime in here.

gabbyhayes

Feb 9, 2014
Sask.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 AT PRO GTI 2500
V3i SURF PI PRO
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you should call White's or just send the detectors in for a checkup or repair.
They are very reasonable about repairing their gear.
They're about the best there is when it comes to customer service.

Maybe not such a great deal after all if they don't work properly?

Either way I'd want them working properly all the time. You just never know when you are going past that 5K ring and your detector misses it cause its malfunctioning.
Good Luck

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
EMI or a bad coil.. the XLT is fairly touchy with EMI as it runs at 6.5mHz
Try running off trans boot

OP
OP
TheElementOfSand

TheElementOfSand

Jul 19, 2012
Fort Wayne
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT E-series, Whites Beachhunter, Garrett Ace350, Garret 76'-77'Fortune Hunter, Cen-tech Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I'm pretty electronics savvy so I pulled the board out of the box and brushed it front and back with a large nylon brush. Seemed to help slightly the next day I decided to pull the screen apart and did the same to the board. I have gotten about 2 hours out of it now without one single problem

OP
OP
TheElementOfSand

TheElementOfSand

Jul 19, 2012
Fort Wayne
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
100 each

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread