Houston, Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE W/ SunRay X-1 Probe
BH Pioneer 505
Fisher Impulse UW Pulse Ind.
Fisher F2
Just how "Smart" is the Explorer II/SE

Hi All,

I have a question for the Explorer users. I know the Explorers have conductivity and Ferrous read outs for targets. How close do the aluminum and gold numbers come in on the machine? Do you have anymore of an advantage over digging real gold targets versus junk? I am primarily a "coin shooter" hit the parks, schools, beaches etc. Needless to say TONS OF JUNK! After a few hours into the hunt I am skipping the low tunes because of an overflowing pouch of pull tabs and can slaw. (Yeah I know! I'm preaching to the choir! ;D) I am just hoping for all the money the Explorer cost it could tip the odds in my favor and perhaps find a real target in one out of ten junk targets?? ??? A guy can only hope! Thanks for any responses and HH!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Just how "Smart" is the Explorer II/SE

These advanced detectors report on the conductivity and give you a plus or minus number reference. Till science comes up with newer technology, trash with the same index reading of a good target will be reported. At least the reference number gives you a better chance of identifying the target than a one tone, "BEEP" or even a plain low tone with out any recurrence number.

HH,
Sandman

detectoraddict

Aug 3, 2004
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, DFX, F-75

There is "no Perfect" detector and the se is certainly not perfect. The number system on the whites dfx is actually more accurate for gold. Nothing beats the Explorer for deep silver, period.

shootist

Aug 5, 2006
The hills of central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Explorer 2

Ive been using an exp2 for a couple of months now and Im starting to get better with it. I dont use the numbers instead I use the target box screen which has 2 axis. I can almost always tell its a pulltab by where the crosshair is landing,in addition a nickel gives a similar sound but the crosshair always lands on the same spot,when it lands there it is always a nickel. I finally dug my first gold ,a really thick earring,last weekend and I knew it wasnt a pulltab. The sound or song the machine made was similar to a pulltab but a little bit deeper pitch,its hard to describe the explorer sounds accept to say that it plays songs,different songs for different shapes and materials. When the melody isnt consistent its almost always trash. When I came over the gold earring I also noticed that the crosshair was landing in a spot near where a pulltab falls but in a slightly different location,one that I didnt recall seeing before. The thing that impresses me the most is the discrimination,it is able to mask out a nail or scrap of rusty metal yet still sound off on a coin laying right next to the iron. Its the 4 detector I have bought and it blows all my others away expecially in a lot of trash. I am struggling to dig deeper targets though, a lot of times I dig signals that null after Ive dug down 3 or 4 inches and sometimes I keep getting the sound but just cant locate the object and finally give up.maybe Im still not deep enough Im not sure,but if it sounds there is something in there. There are a lot of hot rocks around where I live and I used to dig them a lot,since the explorer I think Ive dug one. ts true they are quite heavy though but I think its because they have a lot of good stuff in them and it is made very sturdy. Hope that helps ya out some. They are quite expensive but with the se just coming out you could get a good deal on an exp2 I bet and from what ive read the only difference is with the pinpointing. I think they pinpoint pretty good once you get used to them but when the targets are deeper the pinpointing is much more difficult at least for me.

OP
OP
T

Treasure-Diver

Feb 8, 2005
Houston, Tx
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE W/ SunRay X-1 Probe
BH Pioneer 505
Fisher Impulse UW Pulse Ind.
Fisher F2

Thanks guys for the great info. It sounds like the Explorers have the ability to sniff out the good stuff, its just a matter of learning the machine. Thanks again for the replies and HH.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread