Darn: I wish I knew that about the mine lab lower rod wearing earlier!
I imagine you will also save a little weight with a lower carbon fiber rod.
Double Darn: When I bought mine lab lower rods for the Sovereign so that I could change coils faster, I was not aware of the fast wear factor.,
I am over six foot and found the Anderson tall man straight rod the way to go.
It has great balance, easy to clean, and keeps the control pod out of the water,even when I am chest deep.
It is a little harder to get at the knobs because of it's lenght and slightly tippy but it sure beats walking around like Quasimoto (the hunchback of Notre-Dame)
after using the S shaft for several hours. I believe that mounting the control and battery pods on a shaft (straignt of S) is safer for shallow water hunting as you
don't have to worry about being entangled in the coil wire.