OP
Ray S S

Ray S S

Silver Member
Nov 18, 2007
Port Huron, Mi.
Detector(s) used
Freedom Ace Coin Commander and Ace 250
Hello, Dano, That bear is a monster. Those claws on that mammoth paw are awesome. It would be really something to be
able to use those claws in some kind of display. It would be a one-of-a-kind thing. Wow, it is hard to imagine a bear that
big. Thanks a lot for posting that on here. Those are good pix with a great story.

bigscoop, yup, it would be interesting to know just how fast a bear that size could run.

O.T. Fred Bear had his museum in Grayling, which was just a few miles south of where I lived all through the 70's. He
had several displays of mounted animals from all over the world that he had killed with his bows. It was always so
interesting to see them and I visited it several times and it seemed like about each time I went in, I would see one or
two things that I had missed before.

Hello, trikikiwi, About this thing you mentioned, "THE COUNTER'. Was this a movie? I am unfamiliar with the name.

The Beep Goes On, Sounds like she is doing real for her age. That is wonderful, God bless her.

Truckinbutch, that 45/70 is a pretty potent weapon. I have never owned one myself, but have had the opportunity
shoot one a few times. A friend that used to live near me some time back had one.

Thank you all for yor nice replies.

Ray

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
truckinbutch said:
.45/70 round in the guts from long range is the griz solution one of my buddies has come up with at his elk camp in the Wind Rivers . Griz population is dropping and the elk herd is improving .

You must be a mind reader, Butch. I was thinking of a 45/70 Federal round thru that lever action rifle. Better yet, a 45/90 but don't know if it's available in anything other than that replica, single shot long barreled rifle. I would definitely go for the rifle instead of the monster handgun because it's a whole lot harder to hit a target with a bucking pistol than that rifle.......especially if that target is moving fast and AT you.

I lived in the Fairbanks, AK area for 3 years and would NEVER go into the bush with anything lighter than a 12 guage loaded with rifled slugs in 3" magnum shells or a .308 rifle (at the smallest). This was before the .45/70 and /90's were reintroduced. As it was, I didn't go into the bush except for one time to survey a remote control tower in the bombing range. It was during rutting season and my partner and I had our heads on max swivel. Those male moose are really disagreeable when their harmones are raging. :laughing7:

S

Smee

Ray S S said:
Hello, Dano, That bear is a monster. Those claws on that mammoth paw are awesome. It would be really something to be
able to use those claws in some kind of display. It would be a one-of-a-kind thing. Wow, it is hard to imagine a bear that
big. Thanks a lot for posting that on here. Those are good pix with a great story.

I know what some used to do with them . . .

bearclaw_necklace.jpg

OP
OP
Ray S S

Ray S S

Silver Member
Nov 18, 2007
Port Huron, Mi.
Detector(s) used
Freedom Ace Coin Commander and Ace 250
Yup Smee, I was thinking of those. Those huge claws would make one of those neck pieces really top all
the rest, wouldn't they? I like that one in your picture. Thanks for showing it. :thumbsup:

Ray

S

Smee

Ray S S said:
Yup Smee, I was thinking of those. Those huge claws would make one of those neck pieces really top all
the rest, wouldn't they? . . .

Ray

Wish it was mine, but I don't have the stones to do it the old way.

A real one took 40 claws (two bears) to make . . . no rifles or pistols allowed --- just bow & arrows and knives.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know when I use to go up north on fishing trips we always had black bears in and around the camps, no big deal. But if one of the guides even suspected that a moose was in the immediate area they started getting nervous. I remember one of the guides telling us, "If you show a black bear some respect and give him a little space they're usually just curious or passing through and they'll go about their way without any problems. But a moose, when they step into camp they mean business and they can clean house with a vengeance in a real hurry." I never saw one step into camp, but I guess they had. :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread