Just Started Hunting

Circa

Mar 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey,

I just noticed this forum when I typed in coin roll hunting on google. I had no idea so many people still hunted for coins in rolls. I have been searching through pennies for a few months now but two days ago I just though I would pick up some halfs to look to see if any silver ones had been missed. The first day I picked up $200 from the branch right next to my house. I found 2 40% kennedy halfs. I was so excited that after that the next day I went and picked up another $300 from one of the other local branches. I found 3 rolls in the $300 that were packed with silvers! I found 32 40% kennedy half and 1 1964 half! Then today I picked up about $900 in halfs from the banks within 15 minutes of my house. I found nothing in this $900. I also ordered a box of $500 today from my local bank. So my question is did I get extremely lucky or is there actually a good amount of silver halfs left? Is it worth trying dimes? Nickels? Thanks for your time, btw I picked a bank that wasn't very friendly to drop off all the extra coins today.

Upvote 0

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If there are no other CRHers in your area you basically went through the sitting inventory. Id hit ALL the other banks in town as well as ordering some boxes. Welcome to the obsession.

OP
OP
Circa

Circa

Mar 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just started this hobby but I can already tell I'm addicted. $200 of the rolls I purchased were clearly marked that someone had already gone through them. I have been marking mine also. Has anyone had success with dimes in California?

Piledriver

May 21, 2011
Welcome to CRH !

Go for it !

Have a great time mining the useless clad for REAL MONEY !

Keep on Rollin' !

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Circa said:
I just started this hobby but I can already tell I'm addicted. $200 of the rolls I purchased were clearly marked that someone had already gone through them. I have been marking mine also. Has anyone had success with dimes in California?

There is no silver in CA...

OP
OP
Circa

Circa

Mar 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just found a good deal of silver in CA. It could have been beginners luck we will see in a month. I will let you know if I find anything more.

SilverSharpie

Mar 16, 2012
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
Beginners luck. I got started because I'm a cashier, and someone paid with a silver quarter. My research landed me here, and thought I'd jump right in with the boxes.

1/3 of all the silver I have found to date was in my first 3 boxes. I got hooked.

Since then, I have ramped up volume to increase my chances, but the more boxes I buy, the less silver I find.

OP
OP
Circa

Circa

Mar 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's what I assumed. From what I have read people can go through thousands and not find what I found in 20 rolls. I have a good time doing it while I watch basketball so I think I will hunt for another month to see what I get. If I average 1 40% a box I would be happy. It cool to see someone else on the west coast hunting. If anyone else from the west coast hunts please let me know if you have found anything. I will post back in about a month to let you know how much if anything more I found. Thanks for all the responses.

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Circa said:
I just found a good deal of silver in CA. It could have been beginners luck we will see in a month. I will let you know if I find anything more.

I was being facetious. There is a crap load of silver in CA, contrary to conventional wisdom.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Circa,

Where are you located in CA? Big state.. varies by location.

Typically customer rolls are better than boxes. Boxes haven't been good in these parts. Problem is that I can't seem to find any customer rolls of them either.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
namster said:
Circa said:

I was being facetious. There is a crap load of silver in CA, contrary to conventional wisdom.

I don't think SFBayArea is finding much silver.

OP
OP
Circa

Circa

Mar 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in the Bay Area, I am going to see if any of the banks have large amounts of customer rolled dimes as I have bought all the customer rolled halfs close to me. Im going up to Washington soon and might see if I can find anything up there.

Piledriver

May 21, 2011
Smart move.

There are two kinds of silver that CRH'ers find:

Customer Silver, and bank silver.

Even if the Bank silver gives out, the CWR may produce.

Keep on Rollin' !

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
namster said:
sagittarius98 said:
I don't think SFBayArea is finding much silver.

CA is a big state ;D

You think I don't know that? Look at my avatar, it is there for a reason. I was 2nd place in the Maryland state geography bee. I am trying for first this year.

OP
OP
Circa

Circa

Mar 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today I went to some more local banks to see what they had in half dollars. I bought about $300 total from the banks. One of the tellers today handed me 3 40% kennedy halfs out of her tray and told me they were silver. I was like "oh ok well thanks" while trying to hold in my grin. When I got home one of the rolls had a 90% kennedy on the end followed by a 1945 Walking Liberty, followed by two more 90% kennedy halfs! The rest of the rolls yielded 5 more 40%ers. No silver in California my ass...

Attachments

• silverhalfs.jpg
    silverhalfs.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:

namster

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2011
Sulphur, NV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today I went to some more local banks to see what they had in half dollars. I bought about $300 total from the banks. One of the tellers today handed me 3 40% kennedy halfs out of her tray and told me they were silver. I was like "oh ok well thanks" while trying to hold in my grin. When I got home one of the rolls had a 90% kennedy on the end followed by a 1945 Walking Liberty, followed by two more 90% kennedy halfs! The rest of the rolls yielded 5 more 40%ers. No silver in California my ass...

For the last time, there is no silver in CA. Jerry Brown hired the aliens at Loomis to cull it all out to pay for California's welfare entitlements. Even searching for silver in CA will draw the attention of certain "authorities."

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
For the last time, there is no silver in CA. Jerry Brown hired the aliens at Loomis to cull it all out to pay for California's welfare entitlements. Even searching for silver in CA will draw the attention of certain "authorities."

How do you know? Do you live in CA? If so, how come you got a SD commemorative?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread