Just Starting/Coinstar Counters

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
Well greetings all!

GarouLady here and tomorrow (thursday) I will be getting my first round of rolled coins. Unfortunately our local credit unions and banks didn't have a whole lot and I am a bit poor. I can afford about 100 dollars worth of coins at the moment. While there I will check with the teller about older coins and about ordering boxes of rolled halves. as a cashier I go through a lot of coins everyday. And better yet we have a coinstar coin counter. Just last year a fellow came in on sunday to turn coins in. At the end of it all he had 11.40 face value of silver in 90% silver in quarters and dimes. I told him 3 times if he could wait until monday, the next day and take them to coin shop across the road, they would give him a 100 dollars for them. He just didn't care and took the 11.40 I gave him out of my till. Then I ran like the wind to grab money out of my purse and do a till-swap. the next day the price of silver jumped to 45 dollars an ounce just for a day. I busted a gut laughing. That ninny could have easily made 300 dollars in money. Mom wanted to turn our silver in and I told her no. Wait and watch I told her. the next day silver dropped back down to 34 an ounce.

also a quick note. I don't know about other coin counters, but I have seen our coinstar one doesn't take wheat pennies, foreign coins and silverage. I have found many of time to swoop down and find the odd silver dime or old canada money. And I take the time to educate those turning in coins about silver coinage. Kinda like spreading religion as I remember my pastor once say. You can plant the seed but if the soil ain't fertile, the plant won't grow.

anyhow, Nice to meet you all. Wish me luck.

Sincerely, GarouLady

sheepdog_tx

Aug 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome Garoulady (lupine?), please check the FAQ soon as its awesome.

So some branches of some banks have counters but I can't seem to find a good way to search which do and where. Coinstar though I can tell you about..So on Coinstar its around a 9.8% fee IF you choose cash back. If you choose a gift card such as Sears, Amazon, etc the service is free. Theres some grocery stores they have on the list but they tend to be the ones theres no Coinstar at. Brilliant right? If the need to cash to turnover coin for more CRH I recommend you reroll in the orignal MWRs and mark them clearly so other CRHs dont bother. Keep the rolls neat so the tellers arent nervous and the next customer gets the product they expect. Remember you represent all of us and the hobby. :)

Another thing is check the tray before, after and during the Coinstar dump. Its not uncommon to find coins in thier rejected and some can be silver or gold. I've also have Coinstars knock things loose. For example I dumped a box of zinc pennies and out comes a pre64 quarter that had got stuck as some point much to my amazement. Also coinstar will only let you do the gift card if you go over a certain amount, maybe around $10.

Hope this helped. Have fun and welcome again

Mrs.CRH

Jul 15, 2012
Orlando, FL
Detector(s) used
My hands, ears, & eyes =D
Primary Interest:
Other
Very kind of you to educate others but I think we'd all appreciate it if you stop doing that. Yes most won't turn around & CRH but who wants to take the chance that they will? This is one hobby where is ISN'T "the more the merrier".

sagthegreat

Jul 12, 2012
Sterling VA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you want to educate them, then tell them that any half doller from 1971-1996 is worth 12 dollars in silver, and any dime from 1965-1990 is for 3 in silver, also nickels from 1970-1990 are 3

Wickaboag

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2012
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
Not to sound weird, but being a cashier seems to have coin hunting benefits!
Happy hunting and Welcome :)
Wicka

agme

Feb 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very kind of you to educate others but I think we'd all appreciate it if you stop doing that. Yes most won't turn around & CRH but who wants to take the chance that they will? This is one hobby where is ISN'T "the more the merrier".
Yes, what Mrs.CRH said. This "hobby" depends on, and is viable for some people, some places, some times, because of the lack of knowledge "ignorants" of others.

Welcome to the forum GarouLady!

Last edited:
OP
OP
GarouLady

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
Just Startings/Got Skunked Kinda

Not to sound weird, but being a cashier seems to have coin hunting benefits!
Happy hunting and Welcome :)
Wicka

Well out of 10 rolls of halves I got nothing which was ok. It's a starting point. I did kinda get lucky going through my parent's coin holder. You know the kind. The hugely impossible to lift plastic container. I found a Ike dollar, some half dollars, some susan B. Dollars. Nothing new but kinda neat. I did find 4X 1965-1970 40% Silver quarters in the mess, one 1966 dime, and one very odd dime. It's a 1989 P but the rim is extremely high around the coin, like the coin die hit the blank harder than normal. Also the ridges along the circumference of the coin are either worn away or were never there. And I found some old nickels running from 1945 to 1960's. I know they aren't super old or even silver but holding something as old as my father was oddly just felt right. Anyways, I am going to the coinshow next day off and sell off some of my coin sets. Nothing terribly pricy. Just westward journey nickel set. bought it at a store for 8.97. Also I have a 1983 australian mint set and a 1966 bahama mint set. Figured I could get maybe around 30 dollars and get me closer to the needed 1000 dollars for a box of halves. As everyone keeps telling me, Baby steps, baby steps.

Sincerely, GarouLady

OP
OP
GarouLady

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
PS - being a cashier has helped me out with coin collecting a lot. I actually had someone bring in a 1900 US dollar piece to pay for some groceries last year. and the year before that I got a 1889 indian head penny in a penny roll from a bank roll. Pretty sweet. I call this Speed coin roll hunting.

silvereyes

Jan 7, 2011
Sorry , can't figure out the quote procedure..

:cross: I did find 4X 1965-1970 40% Silver quarters in the mess, one 1966 dime, and one very odd dime. :cross:

I don't know if you meant 40 % quarters or half dollars . 1965-70 quarters are not 40 %silver. Only 1965-1970 half dollar coins are silver. Hopefully you meant half dollars..

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Anyways, I am going to the coinshow next day off and sell off some of my coin sets. Nothing terribly pricy. Just westward journey nickel set. bought it at a store for 8.97. Also I have a 1983 australian mint set and a 1966 bahama mint set. Figured I could get maybe around 30 dollars and get me closer to the needed 1000 dollars for a box of halves.

Sincerely, GarouLady

The Krause book (catalog) says $50 for the Australian (the 20 cent piece is mysteriously worth $30), and $42.50 for the Bahama one if just the circulating coins. If it includes the silver also ($0.50, $1, $2, $5) then it is $120.

OP
OP
GarouLady

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
::Chokes on the popcorn she was eatting:: $50? 42.50? $120? Holy Moly! Definitely makes up for the opps on the "silver" quarters I thought I had found. Thanks for the info. Sincerely, GarouLady

Wickaboag

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2012
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
::Chokes on the popcorn she was eatting:: $50? 42.50? $120? Holy Moly! Definitely makes up for the opps on the "silver" quarters I thought I had found. Thanks for the info. Sincerely, GarouLady

Holy Moly? I thought it was "Wholley Canoli?" :)
Nice unsuspected monies on the sets eh?
Happy hunting :)
Wicka

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other

Does the Bahamas set contain the silver coins though?

PhattyB

Apr 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, that 1945 nickel IS silver. 35% war nickel.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other

PhattyB

Apr 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just last year a fellow came in on sunday to turn coins in. At the end of it all he had 11.40 face value of silver in 90% silver in quarters and dimes. I told him 3 times if he could wait until monday, the next day and take them to coin shop across the road, they would give him a 100 dollars for them. He just didn't care and took the 11.40 I gave him out of my till.

Oh yeah, and this sounds like a classic coin theft. He didn't care about selling to a coin shop because they take your ID information... and he probably wanted to get drunk that night, not monday night.

OP
OP
GarouLady

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
Which is why I told my manager the next day what had happened. Told her that if anyone came in looking for them, or if the police came in with questions, I would gladly give them back. I tend to think that a lot of people just don't care one way or another if a coin is silver. I had a couple come into the store to use the coinstar and while they took most of the coins that came out down below, they missed a 1953 dime that is now sitting in my collection.

OP
OP
GarouLady

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, thanks for the picture of the bahama set but that's not the one I have. I have the one that is two pieces of plastic sealed together. it's the dollar, the fifty cent piece, the 25 cent, the 15 cent, the 10 cent, the five cent and one cent. And in the lower left is the little paper note that says bahama islands 1966. But anything is better than a kick in the butt, as my dad use to say. LOL.

Sincerely, Garoulady

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, thanks for the picture of the bahama set but that's not the one I have. I have the one that is two pieces of plastic sealed together. it's the dollar, the fifty cent piece, the 25 cent, the 15 cent, the 10 cent, the five cent and one cent. And in the lower left is the little paper note that says bahama islands 1966. But anything is better than a kick in the butt, as my dad use to say. LOL.

Sincerely, Garoulady

You have the $42.50 set. I didn't see at first it contained the half and the dollar. The set has a mintage of 500K.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread