Just Starting out need help

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello SpeeddeeAu,

Welcome!

What type of detecting will you be doing? What is your budget? Do you live near fresh or salt water?
We will need a bit more information to properly help you in your metal detector choice.
In the meantime, check out You-tube videos; research some of the detectors you may have heard about, and check out the sponsors on the forum. There is a wealth of knowledge on this forum.

Regards,

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Speed, no don't start with 2-box if you have never detected before. I assume you want
to look for caches but walking around with that contraption will bring you unwanted
attention and the learning curve will be frustrating. Unless you have definite knowledge
of the location of a buried cache start with a beginner detector. Something like a Tesoro
Silver U-Max. Only a suggestion.

pgfhgs

Dec 23, 2014
Sedona AZ
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, AT Pro, Ace 250, Tesoro, Teknetics, Bounty Hunter EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Speed, no don't start with 2-box if you have never detected before. I assume you want
to look for caches but walking around with that contraption will bring you unwanted
attention and the learning curve will be frustrating. Unless you have definite knowledge
of the location of a buried cache start with a beginner detector. Something like a Tesoro
Silver U-Max. Only a suggestion.

I totally agree with lastleg, do not start with a two box! There are many great beginner detectors, but if you are going to base where to start on cost you will likely be very disappointed! A detector with a target ID is nice when starting, my dad has a ML 305 works great easy to use pretty versatile, he only shoots coins so its great for him. My father in-law isn't to tech savey so he went with the coin shooter, but now he wants to upgrade come springtime! Plenty of side by side comparisons on the internet. I love my Garrett's not overly impressed with the bounty hunter I have lots of trouble in trashy areas.......that could be me however as garrett is just so easy it's like plug and play.

OP
OP
S

SpeedeeAu

Dec 31, 2014
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What about the ACE 350 - I hear people praise it and people curse it

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Curse!!!! Eurotek Pro is the best value for $218 or $299 depending on which coil you get. Compare YouTube videos of the two and see which has a very annoying audio and the other has a sweet sounding audio.

Last edited:

pgfhgs

Dec 23, 2014
Sedona AZ
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, AT Pro, Ace 250, Tesoro, Teknetics, Bounty Hunter EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Curse!!!! Eurotek Pro is the best value for $218 or $299 depending on which coil you get. Compare YouTube videos of the two and see which has a very annoying audio and the other has a sweet sounding audio.

isn't comparing the audio to rock verse country verse rap? I like my tone way better on my AT Pro than the coin master chirping sound? I would stay with looking for a good used MD something that sold for 400-600 range and get it in the 200-300 range used.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Find a dealer and look at the models in you price range. Then ask him/her to let you play
with it outside. Take along some different coins and a small piece of iron to see what
each sounds like. Maybe you will get some training and go with what feels best. The
money you might save on mail order is not worth a hands-on demo. Also if you don't
like the one ordered over the phone or online you have to trade up on the next. Then
if that trade doesn't suit you you're stuck with it. Speaking from experience.

FragFox

Dec 21, 2014
Eastern Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster, Bullseye TRX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What about the ACE 350 - I hear people praise it and people curse it

The ACE series was my first choice. BUT, I had the MD bug so bad that the only retail dealer in my area sold White's. So I settled for the entry level CoinMaster. I was using a old Daytona from the early 80's (if not older) just to get out. I used to think my yard was clean when I walked around on several outings. I found a few things of junk and a quarter with the Daytona. Then I walked around with the White's CoinMaster. Now my yard looks like the damn moon. LOL. That thing won't let me go 10' before i am digging and I have nails and foil turned off.

I found a nice load of pennies in one spot and a old mason jar lid yesterday, but no matter what you choose, get ready to have fun!

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HSpeedieu; Greetings from Boston. Welcome to the TNet. Now for your question. All of these guys have given you solid advice. For me I recommend you start with the Whites IDX - Pro ok. Reason is that it has a good ID meter that is accurate. It does a real good job of separating the coins and gold from the iron. It is not affected by salt water and it has a decent depth ratio. I have found stuff with it at 12" while testing it in the field ok. And the price is very decent as well. You can buy them used online at ebay or Craigslist. Don't worry they have a Lifetime Warranty. Any problems just send it in and they will fix it STAT ok. I send my DFX in every year to be groomed. Never had a problem ok. Good luck. PEACE:RONB

FragFox

Dec 21, 2014
Eastern Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster, Bullseye TRX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just starting out I would certainly go with a Ground Penetrating Radar unit. JUST KIDDING!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread