Just try and tell me these places don't snoop first

DetectorRob

Aug 27, 2019
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter quick draw pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So I went to a online site that lists storage unit auctions near me.

Some of the auctions have 8 photos. Most are from the same storage unit place. Just try and tell me the people who own this place isn't going though everything first to find valuables.

It's hilarious how storage wars act like they are popping the lock for the first time

Last edited:

Holt0222

Sep 24, 2015
Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Exactly. That’s one of the reasons I don’t want to do auctions. Anything of value not hidden in a box will be grabbed and placed in the owners unit.

OP
OP
D

DetectorRob

Aug 27, 2019
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter quick draw pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So it's not just me thinking that? Good

Keith Jackson

Aug 12, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I former co-worker used to own a facility with his father and brother. He said that they would take what they wanted before the auctions, but they also never made any claims that they didn't.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They would be dumb not to

desecrator

Jul 7, 2006
Jamestown, NY
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I've been a professional storage buyer for nearly 7 years, purchased roughly 1000 units (both online and at live auctions). VERY few facilities tamper with the contents of a unit before it goes up for public sale. Not to say that it doesn't happen, but it is rare... especially at the big corporate chains (Life, CubeSmart, Public). The reason is pretty simple actually... the original tenant has the legal right to settle their debt right until the moment the unit is sold... and actually even after (many facilities allow the tenant to pay and reclaim their unit even after it is sold, if the winning bidder has not yet paid in the office). If the facility owner were to plunder the contents before the auction, and the tenant were to pay up at the last minute (which I have seen happen MANY times), the facility could face severe legal issues. Some tenants actually keep insurance policies and file an itemized list and photos of the contents with the insurance company. The storage business is a numbers game... owner's make their money from rent, not from a few bucks here and there from junk they can sell out of units. It is not worth risking their entire business (10's of thousands of dollars for small facilities to possibly millions for the big chains) just to make a few hundred. Plus, these owners likely don't want to to the leg work to sell the items... they are property owner/managers, not resellers. It's hard to understand this, as we have a treasure hunter mentality, but most people don't want to dig through other people's "junk", even if given the chance.

Now, there are a few scenarios that may look like the owners illegally searched the unit, but didn't. 1.) The original tenant knew they were going to default, and took what they wanted 1st, not wanting to deal with the disposal of the unwanted items. This happens a LOT with estate units, where the family doesn't want to deal with the bulk of items, but knows to take "grandma's jewelry" 2.) Some tenants will sign their unit over to the facility in lieu of their back rent... in this case, the facility need not follow lien law, as the unit is now the property of the facility. 3.) If a lien unit is a "no sale", it also becomes the property of the facility. In both cases, the facility can legally do whatever they want with the contents. They may put these units up at auction with actual lien units. Now, I personally feel they should indicate to buyers if a unit is a true lien unit or one of these "manager's specials", but they are not legally required to do so.

Certainly, there are some facilities that play fast and loose with the law, and roll the dice, but I'd say that it's less than 5% in my experience.

1235CE

May 23, 2006
The Beautiful Berkshires in Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
I've been a professional storage buyer for nearly 7 years, purchased roughly 1000 units (both online and at live auctions). VERY few facilities tamper with the contents of a unit before it goes up for public sale. Not to say that it doesn't happen, but it is rare... especially at the big corporate chains (Life, CubeSmart, Public). The reason is pretty simple actually... the original tenant has the legal right to settle their debt right until the moment the unit is sold... and actually even after (many facilities allow the tenant to pay and reclaim their unit even after it is sold, if the winning bidder has not yet paid in the office). If the facility owner were to plunder the contents before the auction, and the tenant were to pay up at the last minute (which I have seen happen MANY times), the facility could face severe legal issues. Some tenants actually keep insurance policies and file an itemized list and photos of the contents with the insurance company. The storage business is a numbers game... owner's make their money from rent, not from a few bucks here and there from junk they can sell out of units. It is not worth risking their entire business (10's of thousands of dollars for small facilities to possibly millions for the big chains) just to make a few hundred. Plus, these owners likely don't want to to the leg work to sell the items... they are property owner/managers, not resellers. It's hard to understand this, as we have a treasure hunter mentality, but most people don't want to dig through other people's "junk", even if given the chance.

Now, there are a few scenarios that may look like the owners illegally searched the unit, but didn't. 1.) The original tenant knew they were going to default, and took what they wanted 1st, not wanting to deal with the disposal of the unwanted items. This happens a LOT with estate units, where the family doesn't want to deal with the bulk of items, but knows to take "grandma's jewelry" 2.) Some tenants will sign their unit over to the facility in lieu of their back rent... in this case, the facility need not follow lien law, as the unit is now the property of the facility. 3.) If a lien unit is a "no sale", it also becomes the property of the facility. In both cases, the facility can legally do whatever they want with the contents. They may put these units up at auction with actual lien units. Now, I personally feel they should indicate to buyers if a unit is a true lien unit or one of these "manager's specials", but they are not legally required to do so.

Certainly, there are some facilities that play fast and loose with the law, and roll the dice, but I'd say that it's less than 5% in my experience.

Extremely well written and educational post and I certainly appreciated the insight, right on! :icon_thumright:

HH all!

Greg

Holt0222

Sep 24, 2015
Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Very educational and well written. Makes sense about the legal side.

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Snooping

I have bought and gone through many units as well over the years and this is in fact the case... legal liability would be huge... even if the facility that pilfered got nothing, the legal tenant could claim otherwise...
the only acceptance to this might be, is when the facility has attempted in good faith to contact the tenants and they have been unable to for the two months required by law,.... they can be pretty sure no one is going to show up to claim anything... but that seems like a hassle as there are so many units to deal with... I can't see it so much..... more likely units are "staged" and resold so that a dealer can make money....
I fill a unit up with garbage and get the manager to add my unit to the auction list... when its sold I split the money with the manager.. and you the buyer get a unit full of empty boxes.. hahaha This has happened before and the auctioneer and facility was sued... the buyer found out the auctioneer was the one who staged the unit and the facility went along ... I don't know the outcome but its possible the auctioneer lost her licence... anyway... Also people have been known to fill a unit, then default and let it go to auction, and if it sells high enough, the facility gets what they are owed and the renter gets the rest. Legal truth, when a unit is auctioned, the facility can only keep money that's owed, if the unit sells for more than what is owed that money goes back to the original renter, This is true...

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here in Minnesota, if the storage facility auctions your goods, and the amount they receive from your goods exceeds what you owe them, they are required to refund you the balance. In pertinent part:

Subd. 6.Surplus. A storage facility may satisfy its lien from the proceeds of any sale pursuant to this section, provided that the storage facility must hold any sum obtained from the sale that exceeds the amount sufficient to satisfy the lien and the reasonable expenses incurred complying with this section for delivery on demand to the occupant and give notice to the occupant of the occupant's right to the funds as provided in section 514.974.

Actionman

Dec 21, 2013
Central Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030, Minelab Excalbur 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Big chain storage units, no. But the mom and pop one's do, seen it first hand as I have bought units in the past. There are laws that they have to post notice of auction also, those aren't followed by some either. Some also will not auction off if the price does not reach there predetermined amount. Lot's of shady stuff, quit going to those that pulled sly stuff.

Bill - De

Dec 22, 2009
Delaware
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT, Cibola
CZ-20, Sea Hunter II, Simplex,
Minelab Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have bought and gone through many units as well over the years and this is in fact the case... legal liability would be huge... even if the facility that pilfered got nothing, the legal tenant could claim otherwise...
the only acceptance to this might be, is when the facility has attempted in good faith to contact the tenants and they have been unable to for the two months required by law,.... they can be pretty sure no one is going to show up to claim anything... but that seems like a hassle as there are so many units to deal with... I can't see it so much..... more likely units are "staged" and resold so that a dealer can make money....
I fill a unit up with garbage and get the manager to add my unit to the auction list... when its sold I split the money with the manager.. and you the buyer get a unit full of empty boxes.. hahaha This has happened before and the auctioneer and facility was sued... the buyer found out the auctioneer was the one who staged the unit and the facility went along ... I don't know the outcome but its possible the auctioneer lost her licence... anyway... Also people have been known to fill a unit, then default and let it go to auction, and if it sells high enough, the facility gets what they are owed and the renter gets the rest. Legal truth, when a unit is auctioned, the facility can only keep money that's owed, if the unit sells for more than what is owed that money goes back to the original renter, This is true...

So then if the facility couldn't locate the tenant for the 2 months or whatever law states, before it can go to auction, what happens to the funds in excess of amount owed? Facility has already made reasonable attempt to make contact. How much longer are they required to hold the excess funds?

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As treasure hunters we like to defy the odds and dream of the big score. The boring reality is owning (or leasing) the storage facility is the golden goose. We may find a few missed golden eggs but if we didn't enjoy the hunt then what's the point? Might as well just work for the man. I learned through owning property and having evicted people who abandoned their stuff, its way too much work to try to capitalize on other people's junk. I will do a quick inventory for bills, change jugs, jewelry and then its craiglist curbside. Get the next tenants in and thats the steady cash cow treasure for me. If I miss a month's rent at $1200 to turn a pile of junk into $300 I actually lose. Plus I already have hoarding instincts so I would likely die in an avalanche of detritus so I avoid storage places like the plague.
I had a friend who had 3 storage units for 8 years. He was also a hoarder. He worked for a big name hardware store and kept odd tools supplies and equipment that were super discounted or headed to the scrap bin. Stuff people spend real money on when they need said item. One day he did the math and realized he had spent over $20,000 on those units and decided he was getting out. Being a fellow hoarder and good friend I said I'd help and he, being generous, gave me a 50/50 split. I spent a month first selling then giving away, then finding somewhere to dump the contents. In the end we turned the items into about $1200 and several of them found their way to my basement.

Paul in WA

Oct 22, 2005
Washington State
Detector(s) used
DFX
I manage a 135 unit facility in Washington State. State law requires us to go thru them and remove any personal items....pics, documents, any form of mail. Guns are to be turned into the local PD for their auction (proceeds go to the state) and any vehicles go to the local towing company (proceeds go to the state) any money left over from the sale of the unit after rent due has been deducted goes to the person who rented the unit. If documented contact can not be made then money goes to the state. After the first round of having to go thru the units I realized that I don’t have that kind of time on my hands, so we have bidders pre register and sign an agreement to return any personal items or firearms. I would much rather have people pay their rent. With the current Covid/eviction laws we can’t seize units or evict. We can’t even have auctions at all

Rmeav8r

Nov 4, 2004
NW Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Nokta Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If a facility owner or employee goes into a legal “sale” locker and illegally removes items before the legal sale...then it’s nothing short of thievery. If you condone that behavior then don’t complain if one day your a victim. I hate liars and thieves.

Last edited:

Mescalero1

Greenie
Jun 26, 2020
San Fernando Valley
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Storage Wars makes it seem like it's a good chance someone is going to find something of value. But, the amount of "actors" in the show that have left disgruntled have outright said that the show baits the lockers. I understand that because if you just saw everyone's household junk every time you saw the show, you wouldn't watch it again. I keep most of my big musical items in storage, like cabinets and racks. I have seen a lot of people that use storage and it's sad. That's their home and their whole life is in there. I know guys that run businesses out of these units too. They don't have a warehouse to keep the grip and lighting items they have, so the rent a couple of large units instead of renting a store front or warehouse. Saves them a lot of money. But if something happens to them..... My kid has a key and the code to get in the place. I told him if I croak, get a friend and empty my storage. I have some old brains that are worth some bucks and I would rather him sell them if he didn't want them instead of someone inheriting them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread