What's new

Just wanted to say I am back in the game (sort of)

Bank Runner

Hero Member
Joined
Jan 10, 2009
Messages
666
Reaction score
7
Golden Thread
0
Hi everyone,

After a long hiatus, I have started doing some very minor CRHing again. My type A personality made me take the hobby too far before, and I had to quit cold turkey. My marriage is stronger for it, and I have promised myself that I will not turn a hobby into a job again. So here is to a fun hobby, that will hopefully add some neat coins to my collection and some silver to the safe ;D
 
Upvote 0
I can totally relate to what you are saying Bank Runner. I am kind of in retirement now. I have quit before but always craved buying halves. Now I don't really crave it anymore because the coin hunting here has gotten so terrible due to all the CRHers.

I will still buy bags from machines from a couple of banks that save them for me.

Jim
 
Welcome back BR, I know what you mean, a hobby turning into a job. I still hunt, but only at my own bank branches....I used to walk into any bank I came across, about a year ago something happened, can't explain it....no desire to stop at any banks due to a weak stomach! Good luck, ffd
 
Fistfulladirt said:
Welcome back BR, I know what you mean, a hobby turning into a job. I still hunt, but only at my own bank branches....I used to walk into any bank I came across, about a year ago something happened, can't explain it....no desire to stop at any banks due to a weak stomach! Good luck, ffd

FFD,

I have the same "symptoms" as you. I think is is called "skunkitis", which is caused by several boxes of halves that have zero keepers. Also, I was getting tired of the weird looks from tellers when you go in cold asking for rolls of halves and they treat you like you are a bit odd and they say "here sir, we have 8 dollars worth of halves", and you wind up taking them and acting appreciative like it is some kind of treat or something. If they are silver it rocks, but when they are clad you start to think maybe this is a waste of time. That is how I started to feel after a while at least.

Jim
 
Jim and FFD,
I agree with you both and feel your pain. This can be a wonderful hobby but too many people have turned it into an unprofitable business or an obsession. When Silver was at $5 I had almost no competition and was blown away with the finds I made. Oh by the way, I never ordered boxes back then and had minimal money invested (I had minimal money period :laughing7:). That meant very little dumping. Last year I got carried away and the box ordering, pick ups, and dumping got out of hand. I stepped back and looked at the time and energy I was putting into the hobby. I could have easily just bought junk silver and came out even or possibly better.
 
Bank Runner said:
Hi everyone,

After a long hiatus, I have started doing some very minor CRHing again. My type A personality made me take the hobby too far before, and I had to quit cold turkey. My marriage is stronger for it, and I have promised myself that I will not turn a hobby into a job again. So here is to a fun hobby, that will hopefully add some neat coins to my collection and some silver to the safe ;D

Welcome back ! I know very well about being a "type A".
Rich
 
Welcome back, I am just returning from a year break myself! I cant wait to get digging into some boxes :thumbsup:
 
welcome back I can relate I have always done this since early nineties ,but last couple years have stepped it up alot I think due this site and the competitive edge about me. Days off I always try to figure away to dump and pickup before wife gets home for lunch lol. Keep telling her its all for our retirementand hopefully Im not all that wrong. :headbang:
 
Hi, I am Golden Silver and...... I am a Coin Roll Hunter. :help:

Golden Silver
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom