K von Mueller THers Manual #6

HEY THAT WAS MY LAST NAME ON IT................ILL TAKE IT FOR A ONE DOLLAR

Best of luck to all of you. I live in Bridgeport Connecticut where there are many parks and beaches..

I've got #6 as well as #2, 3 & 4. Great reads, loaded with leads and more importantly, loaded with finds!

KVM was NOT his actual name. Deek Gladson is another pseudonym (sometimes called a pen name: think Mark Twain for Samuel Clemens).

Sam, I don't think you could call him rich money wise. At least he didn't
appear to be wealthy. But what a life he led. R.I.P.

He was a pro and a great teacher. I bought my first detector from him. A white BFO detector with a wooden coil.

.......I am re-reading the Th'ers Manual #6.....right now.....IT HAS A LOT OF GOLDEN NUGGETTS ALL SPREAD THRU OUT THE BOOK......I like one section that says that a lot of the (Professional) Treasure Hunters (in 1974??)....could mentally discriminate the difference of a Silver Dollatr. silver Halve..., Tin Can, foil cigarrett pack and so on........and remember this was using a BFO or a TR with no discrimination.......I remember some old timers back in 1970 or so who could do this.......most of this ability has now gotten lost.....we have leaned and depended too much on the new technology...that is why a field that has been hunted by everything imagineable ....still gives up Goodies...to someone who does not mind digging a lot of junk to get all of the Good Stuff ......Joe

Treasure Hunter's Manual #6 was one of the very first books relating to treasure hunting in the early 1970's. While detectors had been around since the late 1950's, most were simple variations on machines used to find landmines. It wasn't until the 60's that BFO (beat-frequency occilator) and TR (transmitter-receiver) detectors became available.

Once the detectors were available, it was still necessary to learn what one could find, and where it might be found. TH'ers Manual #6 was an outgrowth of 5 previous editions by various publishers detailing a lot of what this forum does: document and photograph detector finds. In addition, the question of what is treasure was examined, as well as some law, court cases, cache hunting, and early "professional" treasure hunter profiles. It documented that, for instance, if you were researching a cache, went to the site and found a tobacco can filled with rocks, the cache might well have already been found.

Simple put, a wealth of information most people have never thought about ... even today. If you don't have it, get it. If you do have it, read it. If you've read it, read it again! If it piques your interest, try to figure out a method to document all the treasure leads in it. It was one of the first books I HAD to have, and still a great addition to my library.

....Ruck....The best way to tell if a book is Good or Not is to just READ IT......COPIES ARE AVAILABLE THAT ARE A LOT MORE REASONABLE THAN POSTED HERE....I think that I got mine for around $10.00 or $12.00...GET A COPY AND READ IT...YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED...........Although some areas of tht the book may be considered antiquated.......most sections are timeless.......Also it gives one a look of one of the greatest personalites that ever lived on Treasure Hunting.....He was unique ......HE called a spade a spade.........not a lot of that going on today......Just a lot of basic common sense approach to treasure hunting......what to do and what not to do......how to find treasure leads??.....how to do research??........how to dispose of a cache??....what to say or what not to say??.........timing??.........how to scan a site?? .......AND A LOT MORE......JOE

Connecticut Sam said:
I agree that Karl books are the best. Did he find any treasure?
Yes. Placer gold and well as other things. Keep in mind when Karl first started treasure hunting, the most advanced tool was an iron bar shoved in the ground. (Still used today, come to think of it. Called a screwdriver now.) Metal detecting didn't come along until later. Karl (or Carl) was on the cutting edge of this new technology, checking out old-timer's stories and tracking down the realities.

Usually, he couched his finds in terms of "other people's" finds, rather than admitting his own recoveries.

Had problems with IRS in the past, took them to task, won. Didn't trust them much.

Tuberale said:
I've got #6 as well as #2, 3 & 4. Great reads, loaded with leads and more importantly, loaded with finds!

KVM was NOT his actual name. Deek Gladson is another pseudonym (sometimes called a pen name: think Mark Twain for Samuel Clemens).
More data.

According to A.T. Evans' Treasure Hunters' Yearbook 1971-72, Dean Miller was the actual name of Karl von Mueller, who also wrote under the pseudonyms of Deek Gladson, Charles Dean, Asa Miller, Deuce Miller, Trey Miller, and others. According to the same source, G.M. Miller (Gladys M. Miller), wife of Dean Miller, also "writes under the pseudonym of Deek Gladson." Truly a case where a single pseudonym (Deek Gladson) was used by more than one person!

I was under the impression that Karl's real name was Carl Miller and that he had a son by the name of Dean Miller. His son's photo was in one of his books and he was referred to to as the "Deaner". You can usually tell if the book was written by Karl if you find that the copyright is by Gladyce or G.M. Miller. You can find her photo also in some of his books. He always referred to her as Mrs. Deek Gladson

I have just relocated a pamplet I ordered from Deek entitled "Karl Von Mueller's
Vibrating Gold Concentrator, Wet or Dry". I ordered it from Examino Press at
Segundo, CO; 50 pages chock full of illustrations and no-nonsense prospecting
tips. An example of vintage Karl, "I do not know of a coin dealer or jewelry store that does not buy gold today. Some of these turkeys who represent them-
selves as coin dealers could hardly tell the difference between a large nugget
and a road apple before the current gold craze began but when they sniffed
unbelievable profits some of them borrowed from banks or anywhere else to
amass appreciable qulantities of gold and silver. When the decline came so
suddenly some of them were caught with their financial drawers at half-mast."
This booklet sold for $4.00 in the early 80's.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back