kansas homestead finds

eric in ks

Oct 29, 2005
middle america
My wife and I loaded up the chainsaws and detectors today and went to an old homestead south of town to cut a load of wood and detect around the place. Lot's of good mulberry. We dug a ton of rusty iron, but also got a few keepers. My wife got the top buckle which is my favorite of the two. The button says 5A on it. Anybody know anything about that? The lincoln is a 1982. I'm guessing since they burnt wood for heat, the wedge was probably an everyday necessity. I'm not sure of the age of the homestead, but this area was settled in the 1870's. HH, Eric

Attachments

• old house.jpg
    old house.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 377
  • two buckles.jpg
    two buckles.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 370
Upvote 0

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Cool finds! This may sound like a dumb question.... LOL! But being from Oregon, I have no clue as to what that round thing is protruding from the ground? Is it an old concrete culvert? Or a root cellar? A little background, if you know what it is please?

HH

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds at the cellar hole. If you can get in it safely it would be good to check out. Good luck to both of you.
Burdie

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh, boy I don't see things like this around here...cellars that it. It looks more like a grave site to me. Good finds at the homestead, I recognize many of the relics.

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt site and neat relics! Can you get into that cellar? HH, mike

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre II / Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So that is what a cellar looks like? I have wondered.... Great finds, keep up the good work.

God bless,
Peter

OP
OP
eric in ks

eric in ks

Oct 29, 2005
middle america
There is a tree growing right out of the staircase down. The cellar always seem to hold water, too. I can't find the ambition to get down there, but would possibly be rewarded if I did. HH, Eric

trk5capt

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2005
Charleston S.C.
ERIC, Some Interesting Relics, Congrats. It May Pay For You To Rent a Portable Pump and see What may Be in the Bottom of that Storm/ Root Cellar. Best of Luck & Keep us Posted. trk5capt...

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Finds ....The buckles are the old style strap buckles........Good luck in your next trip back...seeker

dano91

Apr 3, 2005
colorado
Looks like a great place to hunt! That thing with the hook looks like part of a Double Tree.

Attachments

• doubletree.jpg
    doubletree.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 198

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread