Kansas Homestead

eric in ks

Oct 29, 2005
middle america
My wife and I went to an old homestead yesterday and managed to dig a few keeper. Between the rough terrain, a ton of iron and trash and the poinson ivy, the area was kinda limited. This is only my wifes fourth trip with me, but she did get her first button. I keep telling her the more hours she puts on the 250, the easier it will be. I did dig a small bucket at around 18". Too bad it was empty. The only coin we got was a 1940 Wheat. Anyone have an idea what the forked object is? Is says WHITE on it. The little square peice appears to say LITTLE GEM NEW YORK. Hope everyone has a good holiday weekend, Eric

Attachments

• homestead 9-03-06.jpg
    homestead 9-03-06.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 360
  • relics 9-03-06.jpg
    relics 9-03-06.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 347
Upvote 0
I'm glad you and your wife got out. Thanks for the picture of where you were diggin' at. I love to see those old houses.

The forked object looks like something from a hinge or latch.

Neat finds, glad you & wife were able to get out for a few. I like that eagle button.

;) RR

eric in ks, That sure looks like the little house in the river bottoms as you are making the turn to take the cut off into Riverside MO. on the RH side of the road as you are going to the riverside cut off. Bill Pierce

Think the forked piece may be an attachment or part for a White sewing machine. It looks like a real neat place to detect, privacy and a good look into what life was like 50 or more years ago.

Good to hear your wife is interested! Great looking site to detect as well. HH, Mike

These are my favorite kinds of hunting locations. I'll take them any day over sites with lots of Wheats and late silver.

What you dug there is usually what is found at this type of site. Very very few old coins are found. These people were mostly dirt poor and what little they had was carefully hidden away.

For this reason these make prime cache sites (small container of coins).

Badger

Hey Eric looks like a beautiful day to hunt. Hunting an old homestead myself. The lives and history is laying every where. Take care and Happy Hunting. Burdie

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back