Keep swinging the Max

Indiana-FH

Oct 7, 2008
Newburgh, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max - BH 505
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have had my AT MAX about a month. Taken it our for some short hunts 7 or 8 times to a school yard I have hunted for years. Main purpose was to learn what the machine was telling me. 1st. couple of times I was so frustrated, but I have hung with the Max and trying to shorten the learning curve and think thing will get better. When this thing Locks onto a target, its there.
Went on a short hunt to the same location last night - a little trash, a costume jewelry ring and some clad. The VDI numbers were solid targets were 2 to 9 inch deep. Don’t have this mastered yet but will just keep with it

Attachments

• 119C7DD5-E72F-4594-9B70-A87606972879.jpeg
    119C7DD5-E72F-4594-9B70-A87606972879.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 166

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
A lot of folks on here aren't Garrett fans but I sure am. The more you use it the more you'll know and the company is 2nd to none.

Ronzie

May 27, 2009
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw w/Garrett pinpointer

past machines - Minelab Explorer SE Pro/ Garrett GTI 2500 /Garrett GTAx1000
Great way to learn the machine. The AT Max is a good machine from what I've seen. Back when the AT Pro and AT Gold were released I was interested in the AT Gold but never pulled the trigger.
xr7ator, one thing I've learned in almost 25 years of detecting is to never make fun or bash another brand. I did a few years ago with Tesoro calling them a toy.
I still laugh at myself over that one and it's probably the dumbest thing I've said in this hobby.

srcdco

Dec 11, 2006
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Nox-800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I, too, have been frustrated with the AT-Max, until last night. The other day, I talked to a friend that has the AT-Gold and he gave me some pointers on setting it up that made a world of difference. I am using the AT-Max to hunt in the water. I was having trouble figuring out what targets are good and what the machine is telling me. Once I made the suggested changes (use Open mode, No Iron Audio, Iron Disc around 30, Sensitivity at 6) and swinging slowly, it was like a brand new place to hunt. I tried it out last night at an old park that has given up a lot of old coins. I listened for any high or low tones that repeated and didn't "grunt". I know I passed over some good targets that I will go for next time, but I only had 2 hours to hunt. In this spot that I couldn't find anything the last 4 times I went out, I got: 4 Memorial cents, 2 Wheat cents, 2 silver War nickels, 1 Buffalo nickel, 1 Liberty nickel, 1 clad dime, 1 Barber dime, and 1 Barber quarter. This machine is amazing at picking out good stuff among the trash. This place is littered with nails and junk iron and most of these targets were next to junk. That's why my previous machine couldn't find them.
Keep playing with it. If you can find someone that has one (or an AT-Gold), pick their brain. I'm glad I did. It made all the difference.

Scott

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
also call Garrett thier tech guys love to guve advice on settings for your area

Top Member Reactions