Keeping/Selling NIFC Halves

Axecutioner

Nov 16, 2011
SLO, CA / LV, NV
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm on my second box of my 3 box/week plan, and have found 2002-2010 halves so far, all but 2 in BU condition. I'm just looking for opinions as to what would be best to keep, and how well they sell on either Craigslist or eBay.

I'll post my results and totals once a week, but I can say that it's better than I expected so far. :D

Thanks in advance

Upvote 0

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
not sure, I think the majority of people here keep a few of each year / mint mark and then stop, never heard of anyone even having success selling them.

GEOFF

Aug 30, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to keep all of them, just too many in rolls now. I then started dumping them.

CubanHunter

Jan 2, 2012
Miami, Fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep them but I am starting to realize they are not worth the hassle. Provably I will start dumping them next week and just keep the ones that have some kind of error or are in BU condition

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
I was able to sell a few NIFC Kennedys on Ebay.
I got about $1 plus S+H and fees. After all fees and costs were considered, I profited 50 cents per coin. All and all not worth it. Perhaps if you hold on to them and try and sell them as a roll that may do better.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I categorically reject the notion of non-silver NIFC's as being anything more than a reject or dump
coin - Nobody wants them, they were minted in the millions , you get laughed out of the coin store
if you even bring up this topic - I know I'm ranting here - but I really would like to know where the
Idea that not rare , and not precious metal = anything more than face value ? The real NIFC's
are 1970-D Kennedy half, Silver proof Kennedy half's etc. If I'm mistaken please enlighten me
Argentium.

CubanHunter

Jan 2, 2012
Miami, Fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Argentium said:
I categorically reject the notion of non-silver NIFC's as being anything more than a reject or dump
coin - Nobody wants them, they were minted in the millions , you get laughed out of the coin store
if you even bring up this topic - I know I'm ranting here - but I really would like to know where the
Idea that not rare , and not precious metal = anything more than face value ? The real NIFC's
are 1970-D Kennedy half, Silver proof Kennedy half's etc. If I'm mistaken please enlighten me
Argentium.

I don't know where the idea came from but several coin related forums advice to keep them. I don't remember if it was here or in another forum that some on said that the 2001+ where not made to be in circulation. I dont think that in the future they will get any more value that what they already have.

Numismaniac

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2010
It is true that all halves from 2002 on are minted in much smaller quantities than previous halves (around 2-3 million per year per mint), and they are only sold in bags/rolls from the Mint as well as in mint sets (these mint set coins are different and produced with a satin finish and special handling...). The Mint also makes a tidy little profit selling these to collectors, check out their website.

However, I agree with everyone that unless you find them in a roll sealed by the US Mint (this is possible, and I have found some this way and certain years do bring a little premium in this case). They generally do not sell for much of a premium...

With no precious metal to drive their value the only thing that would make them bring money in the market is collector demand, and it's just not there...

There are two parts to the equation for value of a coin: supply and demand. These halves do have a smaller supply due to the relatively low mintages (pre 2002 halves have mintages ranging from 15,000,000 in late 1990s/early 2000s to 300,000,000 in 1970s), but the modern NIFCs don't have much on the demand side. Also, since they don't enter circulation through the normal coin distribution process they are normally all in much better condition, so it's not a problem for a collector to get a nice uncirculated coin for a low price...

So, I think both sides are true: The government minted them NIFC, but they really aren't worth much to sell. Not that different from the 1987P and D halves. Although in top condition you can usually get a buck or two for those.

Long answer to short question :wink:

I keep a few that are especially nice of each date/mintmark to fill in our Kennedy half books for me and my daughters, but send the rest back to the wild.

I'm hunting silver, varieties, and errors that will sell in the market for the most part. Other than trying to fill up sets for me and my kids. I have built three Kennedy half sets and two Eisenhower/Anthony sets (had to buy the stuipd 1981 SBAs, but found 1973 Ikes) from CRHing as well as one Jefferson nickle set (only need another 1950 D for the second set). It's pretty fun to do this, but I'm not motivated by profit.

Sorry for the long answer.

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
CubanHunter said:
. . . I dont think that in the future they will get any more value that what they already have. . .

Doubtful that they will ever develop a numismatic value. However, in the future, their metal content will be greater than their face value (true for all Ni cladded Cu coins). At today's melt, a half dollar has about $0.11 of metal value (they are 92% Cu and 8% Ni).

Someday, CRH'ers will say: "Remember when hunters threw the Cladded coins back?" Just like we say: "Remember when hunters threw the 40% Kennedy's back?"

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
While attending a coin show this week, I asked one of the dealers about it. He checked his Greysheet (wholesale prices) and said they would go for about $19 a roll.

Finding a buyer my be tough, though.

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
In general only error coins and coins with precious metals will bring a very high return.

The 1987 P+D Kennedy is a good example of how, a low mintage coin in low demand + 25 years = not much over face value.
Better to cash in for some 90% silver coins.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
MIhunter said:
The 1987 P+D Kennedy is a good example of how, a low mintage coin in low demand + 25 years = not much over face value.

That may be the best argument against saving them that I've seen to date.

Great analogy, thanks for your input!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread