Sep 4, 2008
Mormonville, AKA Salt Lake City, UT
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Whites TDI, Keene A52, Calsluice, Gold Hog Piglet
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Suckerpunched said:
must be a well kept secret..............LOL
Apparently everything with Utah hunters is a well kept secret LOL!! Im up in Salt Lake if you ever want a hunting buddy. I dont have any good sites but I keep trying to find them. Most people you will see here are very secretive about their spots. Im not so much. This hobby isnt just for me its for everyone and there is no point letting someone get discouraged because they are not finding anything.

bruceuth

Apr 21, 2006
texas
Detector(s) used
SCORPION GOLD STINER, GTI 1500, gti 2500 ,VAQUERO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Suckerpunched said:
I'm sure the area has been hit hard,,,,but has anyone been out there lately
Thanks,,,,TC

me and a friend try to get to there but we got to a ranch that said no treaspassing. guess we have to try to get there by the old train grade if it still drivable.

pennyfarmer

Oct 12, 2006
West Haven, UT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The railroad grade is off limits for at least 200' on either side and most of the town sites are off limits as historical sites. I have been stopped in Kelton and it is not worth it.

There is a small ghost town on the Idaho side of the border just past snowville that I have hunted. Never found anything but that doesn't mean anything.

Papa Bear

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2011
Western Territories
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Teknetics G2, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You might want to try this area. Its in the area of Russian Knoll. I have not been out there though. I am currently out in NC until July 2012. Once I get back I plan on getting out there.

http://www.molokane.org/places/USA/Utah/

Let me know how you do.

Hunter Seeker

Jun 7, 2013
You might want to try this area. Its in the area of Russian Knoll. I have not been out there though. I am currently out in NC until July 2012. Once I get back I plan on getting out there.

http://www.molokane.org/places/USA/Utah/

Let me know how you do.

I was out by Kelton earlier this year rabbit hunting and we parked by the Kelton cemetery. Still kicking myself for not having my MD. Not sure if it is the same as this Russian cemetery you linked to, but I'm still curious if you ever made the trip? Any results?

Opie

Aug 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
I have been to Kelton many times this year. there is a cemetery there, although you have to know where it is to see it. The Russian Knoll area or its other names of Immigrant town or Russian settlement is off limits to anyone who does not have written permission. Box Elder County Sheriffs Dept has been enforcing no trespass. The area's you can detect around Kelton, are covered in .22 shells and the like. for that matter most of all these ghost towns are the same way. With the recent TV shows addressing the hobby, several land owner's are not granting permission for the properties for several reasons. A word of caution, I have seen and been approached by people claiming to be authorities or land owner's or individuals in charge of the properties. None of these people are who or what they say they are. I am also aware of people being harassed out there as well, I do not recommend anyone venture out there alone. Technically you can not MD the old train grade or the area's around them. Although I have seen a great many people doing it. Advice, you will need a good detector out in some of the area's. and if you use a machine with a reputation for not working well around salt water, avoid the wet time of year out there. my friends that have been going out there with me could not use their 250 or 350 because of the high mineral and salt water in location available to detect.

Opie

Aug 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
About the Russian Settlement, the area was sold to a group of Russian immigrants in 1914, 20 Russian Molunkan men bought four square miles of land for their group. The land was a scam, no water or lack of available water, and alkali soil made for difficult living. the group would get up to 100 plus people in the area, this number includes Molunkuns in the area of Rosette and Dove Creek. by 1917 the area was a ghost town. There are two graves in the area at the cemetery, (its just off the road) Anna and Mary Kalpakoff are buried there.

Papa Bear

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2011
Western Territories
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good chatting with you and thanks for the info Opie! Very interesting as to how many blow-hards there are in this state. I cherish the day someone drives up to me and tries to BS me with their puffed up chest...

Opie, I hope you have a camera handy when this happens....lol

Opie

Aug 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
The camera is going to be the new addition to the fanny pack. I have been taking my digital recorder for my own notes on locations. gotta luv it...

Papa Bear

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2011
Western Territories
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The camera is going to be the new addition to the fanny pack. I have been taking my digital recorder for my own notes on locations. gotta luv it...

Make sure ithe camera doesn't geo-tag your photos. Last thing we need up here in God's Country is people from the Wasatch Front thinking they have permission to tromp all over our lands...

Papa Bear

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2011
Western Territories
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Make sure ithe camera doesn't geo-tag your photos. Last thing we need up here in God's Country is people from the Wasatch Front thinking they have permission to tromp all over our lands...

That was a joke folks....No choking on the green jello...

Hey Opie, this Sunday I am going to investigate the privy hole at that old farm house. I'll keep you informed..

Opie

Aug 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
yes keep me in the loop,,I finished my search up in that bowl you'll be deer hunting. Off the subject seen very nice two by three point up there last night. found couple old pennies nothing great.

Spadinator

Jan 30, 2014
West Point, Utah
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was out in that area last summer and found an 1864 US two cent piece, and token and other small trinkets. My MD was pretty much worthless out in most areas though.

Opie

Aug 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
I can tell you from experience out there, it will amaze you how good and bad some detectors work. I'm not sure what Big 5 detector you are using, I will say that the Bounty Hunter Tracker Iv works great out there, (Why? who knows, its still analog) but not much depth. The Tracker IV is a basic model. Lower your sensitivity, be aware of all the hard salts out there, make sure you get proper permission, people have been arrested MDing out there! Avoid the historical area's.
I will say that I'm one of the crazy people that will use a $200 dollar DD coil on a $80 dollar detector in places out there. too much fine salt dust, and its a night mare if its wet out there.

Opie

Aug 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
A little know factoid,,,The ocean has a 3.0-3.8 percentage of salt in the water. the Great Salt Lake (Northern side) is 27.0-33.0 percent (South side) is around 12.0 percent. Also because the lake has no outlet, all the stored mineral content has remained in the lake or lake area.

Spadinator

Jan 30, 2014
West Point, Utah
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The spiral jetty also yielded some interesting artifacts. Nothing of real value but some old steel bowls, pin fire pistol shells and such.

fmrUSMC_0844

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2008
Mormonville, AKA Salt Lake City, UT
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Whites TDI, Keene A52, Calsluice, Gold Hog Piglet
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can tell you from experience out there, it will amaze you how good and bad some detectors work. I'm not sure what Big 5 detector you are using, I will say that the Bounty Hunter Tracker Iv works great out there, (Why? who knows, its still analog) but not much depth. The Tracker IV is a basic model. Lower your sensitivity, be aware of all the hard salts out there, make sure you get proper permission, people have been arrested MDing out there! Avoid the historical area's.
I will say that I'm one of the crazy people that will use a $200 dollar DD coil on a $80 dollar detector in places out there. too much fine salt dust, and its a night mare if its wet out there.

Its funny how right you are. I took my whites MXT out there and it didn't work worth crap. But a 10 year old or more minelab sovereign xs2a worked great.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread