Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess this applies for good and bad targets as well?

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To expand on that a bit......sometimes when you dig and break up part or most of the halo, you won't get a signal because the target (which is now smaller) is slightly out of detection range. If you dig down another couple of inches, many times you will come up with the target. This is also when a good pin pointer is invaluable. He did mention mineralization, which can sometimes be a concentrated clump that once broken up, won't give a signal anymore either. Same goes for a totally corroded target, such as the nail he used as an example. If it totally crumbles into tiny pieces, the detector won't recognize it as a target anymore.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
To expand on that a bit......sometimes when you dig and break up part or most of the halo, you won't get a signal because the target (which is now smaller) is slightly out of detection range.

I had this problem today when I found a good coin hit but kinda deep, dug down a bit and then it completely disappeared. Now I understand what may have happened. Thanks!

IBdiggin

Mar 21, 2013
Central Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70,Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250, 2 Garrett pro-pointers
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some refer to these as ghost signals. Most times these will be one way hits and unstable. If you run low discrimination 9 time out of 10 you will hear iron grunts or low tones mixed in with the false high tone.
Big rusty iron can give off false high tones up to a foot or more away from the actual target if it is big enough, rusty enough and sensitivity is set high. -----------------------IB

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is why it pays to listen to Iron and not discriminate it out. Many time, I hear the iron tone one way and the high tone the other. Yes it could be 2 targets next to each other.. but it helps you decide when you see the minus number in both directions and the iron tone solidly in one. Stomping on the ground over a one way good signal can sometimes break the halo and you will then only hear the iron tone..
This article explains the effect as well Halo Effect

I can dig it

Mar 6, 2014
KCMO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I guess non corroding metals like silver and gold aren't subject to the halo effect?

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kevin Hoagland explains "The Halo Effect."

I believe they are even though many argue that there is no such thing. I have mostly experienced this on deep targets in salt water beach when the soil/sand matrix is broken up and target seems to disappear. 2-3 scoops on down deeper and it usually comes out in scoop

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I guess non corroding metals like silver and gold aren't subject to the halo effect?
Silver will tarnish and produce a halo.....gold not so much....but depends on the purity and what it's alloyed with.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And sometimes you just find that little orange rusty spot in the soil and nothing else :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread