nolanation

Apr 28, 2014
NC
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Semi Key Date Indian Penny! - Updated Pic

Found this 1876 semi key date penny. I believe it is in good shape and would clean up nice, but afraid to clean it. Any suggestions on cleaning or leave as is? Thanks!

IMG_20170405_200545-592x582.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 13

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmm? That's a good question. It does appear to have pretty good detail putting it up in the grading range making it a "potentially" higher valued coin. I would research professional grading-cleaning outfits and seek their advice. I'd hate to use my toothbrush and toothpaste method on that one and bring out some pitting. I've done that before with Indians. Nice coin. I hope someone else has your answer.

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP Déus & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on a sweet find! :occasion14:
I don't have any cleaning help as I am still working on the best ways to clean old finds. Good luck.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would not clean that one since its a key date. I dont think it will be worth to much because of all the environmental damage, but if it were mine I would just put it in a 2x2 cardboard holder and keep it in my collection. It was a nice coin to find, and the memories will probably be worth more to you in the long run. If you do decide to clean it, I water mine off and clean with a toothbrush, then let it dry and put it in olive oil for a week or two.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I clean ancient coins as a side hobby because I can only find stuff so old here in the us. So the best thing for you to do is to soak it in distilled water over night. then very very gently with a soft tooth brush give it a light brushing where the dirt lies, then soak over night in new distilled water. Repeat this a few times. if anything remains then I use a microscope at 10x to 30x and some small very finely diamond dusted tools to clean without touching patina. no tools or micro scope? a loupe and a tooth pick should take care of it just as well. But I imagine that the distilled water will do most of the work for you as its not that old. Just be very very careful not to scratch the patina. some of those small corroded spots may not come clean.

junkhunt

Feb 21, 2017
North Central Arkansas
Detector(s) used
white's eagle spectrum , White's Spectra V3i, Garrett AT Pro. Garrett AT Pen pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I clean ancient coins as a side hobby because I can only find stuff so old here in the us. So the best thing for you to do is to soak it in distilled water over night. then very very gently with a soft tooth brush give it a light brushing where the dirt lies, then soak over night in new distilled water. Repeat this a few times. if anything remains then I use a microscope at 10x to 30x and some small very finely diamond dusted tools to clean without touching patina. no tools or micro scope? a loupe and a tooth pick should take care of it just as well. But I imagine that the distilled water will do most of the work for you as its not that old. Just be very very careful not to scratch the patina. some of those small corroded spots may not come clean.
Will you tell me what distilled water does better than just tap water?

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Because there is nothing in the distilled water but water. no chlorine or fluorine or other chemicals that can damage the coin. no minerals that could deposit on it. So the water can actually help break down the mineralized layer holding the dirt together by dissolving it kinda. edit* ps never ever use tap water to soak any relics or coins. its ok for a rinse if you dry it after but not for a soak.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Speaking from experience I have found several Indians that looked like that and in every case when I tried to remove the heavy, stuck on verdigris it left a divot in the metal and made it look worse. Sometimes even removing details. If you start picking at that you may lose some value. Your mileage may vary..

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Speaking from experience I have found several Indians that looked like that and in every case when I tried to remove the heavy, stuck on verdigris it left a divot in the metal and made it look worse. Sometimes even removing details. If you start picking at that you may lose some value. Your mileage may vary..
yup thats why i mentioned those corroded spots may not come off, guess i should have mentioned not to pick at them

junkhunt

Feb 21, 2017
North Central Arkansas
Detector(s) used
white's eagle spectrum , White's Spectra V3i, Garrett AT Pro. Garrett AT Pen pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Because there is nothing in the distilled water but water. no chlorine or fluorine or other chemicals that can damage the coin. no minerals that could deposit on it. So the water can actually help break down the mineralized layer holding the dirt together by dissolving it kinda. edit* ps never ever use tap water to soak any relics or coins. its ok for a rinse if you dry it after but not for a soak.
Thanks for the Info. I didn't know that.

OP
OP
nolanation

nolanation

Apr 28, 2014
NC
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was able to clean it some with a toothpick and a microscope. It does have a minor hole, which is why I decided to clean it at all, but I'll take it! I keep all my finds anyway. Thanks for the tips!

IMG_20170406_105213-571x577.jpg

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A friend give me some Wheats he dug which I soaked in hydrogen peroxide as an experiment since they were details grade anyway. Some took multiple soaks with clean peroxide each time to clean up. It worked much better than expected and was able to read dates. Some pitting was visible after the corrosion was gone, but they made for a much more presentable coin. ps. I use tape instead of staples to hold cardboard flips closed to avoid scratches on adjacent coins.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
be very very careful with peroxide, it can be used for a minute or two at a time but not for longer it's a last resort for me. i'de do a long term olive oil soak before that. but you will be surprised how well distilled water gets the junk while leaving that beautiful patina. Also good job on that coin looks better already.

ohiowhiteguy

Oct 11, 2012
clermont county ohio
Detector(s) used
coin master pro,,,Garrett at pro,,, Garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have regretted cleaning my indians..keep the green patina i use a little soap and water with a soft toothbrush is all i do anymore.
peroxide ruined two of mine ..
nice find...
HH.
OWG...

mk4125

Jul 9, 2015
Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett/AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another approach is to let one of my kids swallow it and then wait a day or so...it will come out clean. Trust me on this one.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another approach is to let one of my kids swallow it and then wait a day or so...it will come out clean. Trust me on this one.

i think my kids too old now to convince to eat my coins. haha plus stomach acid would ruin that patina!

ohiowhiteguy

Oct 11, 2012
clermont county ohio
Detector(s) used
coin master pro,,,Garrett at pro,,, Garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great answer...i got a chuckle outta that..haha..
it is true as i swallow all my good finds to this day..
the worst part is retrieving them..
OWG..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions