KGlll Irish 1/2 my first ever

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
We went out on Saturday for our first cellar hole hunt of the season. I got a new SEF coil for Xmas hearing how well the small coil does in iron areas. So I tried it out around the cellar hole and my very first target with this coil (for the season too) was a King George lll Irish variety 1/2 penny in pretty good condition. The Irish variety had the harp on the reverse instead of Britania.

Considering the age and the fact that the KGlll were not heavily stamped into the blanks I feel very fortunate to have this one with as much detail as it has. It was 8" deep and iron was around it. I ran the 10" coil over that area and it was pretty much null signals.

Also found was a nice 1906 Indian Head penny and a really awesome 1700's (I think) dandy button and a tiny cuff button. I am very impressed with the SEF coil. I let my partner use it and he recovered a nickle sized tombac button 8" deep with a strong signal. All in all a good day and a first for me with the Irish variety of KGlll.

Attachments

• DSC06588.JPG
    DSC06588.JPG
    83 KB · Views: 491
  • DSC06592.JPG
    DSC06592.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 499
  • DSC06594.JPG
    DSC06594.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 477
  • DSC06595.JPG
    DSC06595.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 489
  • DSC06596.JPG
    DSC06596.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 491
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Ed-NH

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
more pics

Attachments

• DSC06597.JPG
    DSC06597.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 487
  • DSC06598.JPG
    DSC06598.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 489
  • DSC06599.JPG
    DSC06599.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 481
  • DSC06600.JPG
    DSC06600.JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 484

Old River

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2007
Texas, Old River Winfree
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett 2500, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett AT PRO, Garrett ADS Master hunter, Garret Pro Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congradulations on the nice finds. HH.....

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You had a heck of a day. Congrats on the KG.

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow! That one is a beauty! And the dandy button is fabulous! My only Irish Halfpenny was a very corroded mess!

Nice going!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Old copper, silver, and a nice button. Good hunt :icon_thumright:

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find ED.....My only one is dated 1775. Can you extract a date from yours?

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
Congrats on the nice coins and buttons. The small coil works really good where there is a lot of iron.
Dman

wodens

Apr 22, 2008
Those Pictures don't do those coins justice folks....I could not believe how nice the Geo III looked coming out of the soil. Ed my New small SEF has been ordered!!

HH
Alan

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't wait to find my first for the year! :thumbsup: Here we probably dig as many of those as we do George Brit. halfpennies.

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
When Colonial Irish coppers pop up, you know you are on an Irish site. :laughing9: That means you should dig until you flip every target out. I have yet to dig an Irish copper, but have dug many British. :dontknow: :help: It is just the geographical location. I noticed that hunters in the Low Country of South Carolina dig more of them. :dontknow: :icon_scratch:

Thanks for sharing, Ed!

Kirk

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kirk PA said:
When Colonial Irish coppers pop up, you know you are on an Irish site. :laughing9: That means you should dig until you flip every target out. I have yet to dig an Irish copper, but have dug many British. :dontknow: :help: It is just the geographical location. I noticed that hunters in the Low Country of South Carolina dig more of them. :dontknow: :icon_scratch:

Thanks for sharing, Ed!

Kirk

I think if you really looked into historical timelimes and the coinage used you'd get an answer why. I do find it strange they have avoided you completely. I'd be interested to know your count George II vs III British. George III Irish seem to turn up much more than II, so if you are finding mostly Brit. George II it could simply be a matter of your sites being too old and just not many George II Irish in circulation to be lost at the time.

Here it's pretty simple... lots of early Irish settlers.

OP
OP
Ed-NH

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
hogge said:

Hi hoggie, no date on the coin. I did not clean it too much because of the weak stamp. I don't want to flake off what remains of the layer on the reverse although it seems pretty solid. My pics are too close up (I think) it looks better in real life than in my microscopic pic :icon_scratch:

BenVA

Sep 16, 2003
SW VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, White's MXT, Tesoro Compadre and Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Real nice finds. WTG :icon_thumleft:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ed-NH said:
hogge said:

Hi hoggie, no date on the coin. I did not clean it too much because of the weak stamp. I don't want to flake off what remains of the layer on the reverse although it seems pretty solid. My pics are too close up (I think) it looks better in real life than in my microscopic pic :icon_scratch:

Just part of the last digit in the date can give it to you. The ones I see the most are... 75, 81, 82.

Dates to look at.. 1774-1776 and 1781-1782

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Iron Patch said:
Kirk PA said:

Thanks for sharing, Ed!

Kirk

I think if you really looked into historical timelimes and the coinage used you'd get an answer why. I do find it strange they have avoided you completely. I'd be interested to know your count George II vs III British. George III Irish seem to turn up much more than II, so if you are finding mostly Brit. George II it could simply be a matter of your sites being too old and just not many George II Irish in circulation to be lost at the time.

Here it's pretty simple... lots of early Irish settlers.

Out of the hundreds of Colonial coppers that KKC has dug in the past 3 years, only one has been Irish.

Kirk :dontknow: :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
Ed-NH

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
Iron Patch said:
Ed-NH said:
hogge said:

Just part of the last digit in the date can give it to you. The ones I see the most are... 75, 81, 82.

Dates to look at.. 1774-1776 and 1781-1782

Thank you my friend, I will look at this a bit more and see if perhaps I can see any part of the date whatsoever 8)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread