rickn1

Dec 14, 2011
Southern Saskatchewan
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Kid's detector

I presently own a Garrett 250, and I was thinking of picking up an inexpensive detector for my 9 yr. old granddaughter. Just a spur of the moment kind of thing, as of yet she has shown no interest in detecting. I don't want to spend too much, just to have it lay in the corner of the closet if there is no interest. My question is how about the " Under $100 specials" Would they be good enough to spark an interest and then maybe up-grade if she likes detecting. Any thoughts and comments appreciated.

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My Mom picked up a no name detector (only shows ferrous or non-ferrous on the display, has no adjustments aside from on/off/volume) at a yard sale for 3 bucks. It actually does fairly decent during an air test. Though I haven't had it out in the field. Take some batteries with you and do your own air test at the store. Or give local auction houses a call to see if they have any detectors in their next sale. Pawn shops can also be a good place to find a decent detector at a good price.

Bev

Mar 2, 2012
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm a Garrett girl all the way but I can recommend this Bounty Hunter JR for you. My kids have one and I have to say, it's pretty close to being sophisticated! Ignore the price- they are all over the internet for cheaper- I got mine for about 38.00 on Amazon.

Bounty Hunter® JR Metal Detector | BountyHunterStore.com

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread