Kids mini cache found at my local school!

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kid's mini cache found at my local school!

Hit the local elementary school again this morning for an hour and found 3 wheaties, making 6 total now for this schoolyard. Total was 5 quarters, 4 dimes, 3 nickels and 15 pennies, including the wheaties. The cool thing was that I found a mini cache, my first one!!! I hit a strong dime signal at 2", and popped the dime right out along with the plug. As I went to fill the hole back in, I saw a nickel and 2 pennies sticking out of the bottom of the plug, so I grabbed them, and swung the coil back over the hole, and got another strong signal! Altogether, the one hole produced 3 dimes, 2 nickels, and 10 pennies! Some kid must have buried his stash and forgot about it. But it was my first ever cache, and it got my blood running!! One of the wheaties was 1 1957D, and it's in excellent shape. The other two are soaking in olive oil, and should be readable by tommorow. Sorry no pics guys and gals - need a new battery for my digital!! HH!

Upvote 0
Re: Kid's mini cache found at my local school!

Gotta love it when one hole produces multiple goodies!

Just scrubbed the other 2 wheaties with a toothbrush after they soaked in olive oil for 2 hours. The dates are 1945 and 1957, along with the 1957D I also found!

Thats great!! Id keep huntin around there.

Yes, this schoolyard has been generous. It was built in the early 50s, and because it is so close to my house, I hunt in whenever I only have a quick hour or so. Since I started hunting it last fall (16 trips altogether), it's given up 439 coins, for a total of $26.51, 6 wheaties, and 1 nice sterling ring with an amethyst stone, 1 flattened sterling ring, and numerous other stuff like keys, a kids ID dogtag, which I mailed back to the owner, junk jewelry that my 9 year old daughter loves, and literally a TON of trash. Pretty good, considering I have really only covered the playground and about 1/4 of the ballfield. I haven't even though about the front of the school yet, where all the kids walk through coming to and leaving school, line up for the buses, etc. I'll bet that by the time I'm done with this school, it'll have given up over 1000 coins, and hopefully, a few more nice pieces of jewelry. It's a lot of fun to hunt here, if not incredibly profitable. Thanks all for the comments, and HH!

Congrats on your cache!
Remember to always re-check the hole,, that situation pop's up quite a bit...
Sounds like you have a nice place to hunt for some time to come...
Good luck & Happy hunting~

You know, it just struck me that there was 3 dimes, 2 nickels and 10 pennies - EXACTLY 50 cents. Sounds like some kid dumped his .50 cent milk money for some reason, or dropped it all out of his hand at once. Strange, huh?

Yes, it was my first real multiple coin hole, too bad it wasn't something cool like silver or gold coins. That probably would have sent me into cardiac arrest though, lol!

good finds keep on diggin.
I was just at a churchs sidewalk leading to the doors and found a neverending cache hole, grand total of about 60 cents. I hit the first dime the same as u and then kept checking hole another dime then some pennies. It just got deeper and wider until I had dug about 11 coins. All the dates were pre 1980 so I assume they have been there a while. they werent exactly on top of each other but they seemed to be from the same drop. Hehe a funny thing is after a few I snatched up what I thought was a quarter but it was just a reverse impression in the mud where the quarter had been. hehehe Has this happened to anyone else?

You found your first cache........Oh boy, now your hooked...... :) ;)

GL & HH,

DugHoles
Upstate NY

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back