What's new

Killer Beaver found!

I coexist with animals all the time....every chance I get, I bring 'em home for dinner!!:headbang:
It's sad that some people feel the need to control or destroy wildlife instead of just coexisting with it...
 
Co-exist with wildlife? I do the best I can to do that, but evidently you don't have elk where you live. Try dealing with an 800 lb. elk ripping your fruit trees to shreds. Yes, we have elk in Pa. Or a beaver cutting down a fruit tree. Then ask me about coexisting with wildlife. Not an attack, only a statement.

Yes, I've heard all the excuses for killing animals. I used to work at a nursery and the deer used to chew on the owner's shrubs during the night. Instead of putting up a fence, he hired some unethical hunters to jack-light the deer. They managed to kill a few, until I reported them to the DEM. The hunters were arrested and fined for jack-lighting the deer. They also lost their right to hunt for a year or two, if I remember correctly.

Not an attack, just a statement of fact.
 
Little bugger it is! Lets see if Bobby cat or Carl cougar get it this winter. If not ill have pics of Baby Little Buggers this spring. No pics last night due to rain.
 
I bet my money on Little Bugger out smarting the bob cat and the cougar.
 
I'll bet I won't be wandering outside at night ever again. And daytime could get tricky.
 
I like living here along the mountain, and all the wildlife I encounter. Its the vegtables I don't like. Today I killed a lettuce plant for no reason. Tore the head right off of it, and ate it raw. I feel so dirty.
 
I moved the trail camera. Got a picture of Little Bugger's tongue. I'll figure out how to download it tonight. AARRGGG!
 
I GOT HIM! On film. IMG_0022.webp
 
He's not too awfully big, body is maybe 20" long. Big and fat however. Here he is caught in the act. He stays up late.

IMG_0024.webp
 
Last edited:
Beaver are one critter that never stops growing. Today he is standing on the ground chewing on that tree, in mid winter he may be chewing on it 2 or 3 feet higher because of snowpack. they don't kill trees until they are ready to,(they may not even know when they ate killing them, they like the live inner bark.) they won't griddle them all the way around. By leaving some live bark on one side of the tree, it stays alive. It looks like they are cutting the tree to fall one direction, but not so, they have no idea where or when it will fall, they are often killed by the falling trees they knock over. When they cut into a tree of any size, how well do you think that tree will stand up to a strong wind?
The beaver in the pic looks like a yearling, Give him 10 years he will be 50 or more lbs and stand 4 feet or more on his hind legs. There teeth never stop growing either.
On another note once your land is flooded by beaver it is wetland. Think about how much the government likes wetlands. If you let them flood your land you could be prevented from ever returning it to useable land or fined out the wazoo if you do.
I too am an animal lover, i love to see them in the mountains or the flatland. Most go very well with barbecue sauce. The hind leg of beaver are like way oversized turkey legs, for size, but sirloin or tender lion, for a meat comparison. A wire around the bone tied to a stick over a fire for a a spell with a fresh killed head of iceberg lettuce. Now that is a good meal.
On another side note I too talk with God often, I am not special but he often answers very clearly. But on meat I don't wast his time He gave people meat eater teeth, not cud chewer teeth. Stay safe out there.
Cool pics.
 
I NEED him to stay around until at least Memorial Day. We're doing a film project and one scene calls for the settlers to canoe up a creek. My creek is now big enough to film right here versus sending my film crew 125 miles down the Chesapeake Bay. The area back there is already a swamp, and he seems to be done with him dam. (had to remember how to spell that.) Anyway, I'm hopeing a spring flood doesn't take him out.

If need be I'll get a DNR licensed trapper to relocate him. For now, more pictures! Hopefully some daylight ones. He is pretty small. We've had beavers and beaver dams here before, they only stayed a couple months and left.

BTW it's already wetlands back there and has been probably forever.
 
On another side note I too talk with God often, I am not special but he often answers very clearly.

God is talking to you? Really? What does he say? How do you know it's God talking to you? I hear voices in my head as well, but I'm sure it isn't God talking to me.
 
Leave it alone and protect your trees. Seems like a logical solution to me. No need to kill something just because it's chewing on your trees.

Agreed.
 
We have a bank beaver living right along the front of the property. It's taken a couple of trees in the small bay at the end of the property, no big deal. If it comes to the point where it is, I'll invest in some wire mesh and wrap the trees that need protecting till then they can live and do what they want to do. Rather have a beaver than an idiot on the property any day.
 
The trail camera is nice. First Mr. Squirrel visited, then Mr. and Mrs. Raccoon showed, but Mr. Beaver chased them off. The one doe, then two came and finally they passed the buck. har har har Mr. Owl was watching (not really). That was another day. IMG_0524.webpIMG_0192.webpIMG_0207.webpIMG_0527.webp
 
This particular trail camera is more user friendly than my first one. I set it to take pics 5 seconds apart and over 500 pictures on it last night!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom