cheffer

Sep 17, 2004
Western Mass
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Fisher 1275 LTD, Fisher 1265, Fisher 1270, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just had to skip out of work this afternoon, 70 degrees and sunny, plus a few spots from winter research gnawing at me to check out. ACOJoe did the same so we headed to south county to check out a few areas. Wasn't quite sure where to park for one set of cellar holes that I knew were on a small hilltop on public hunting lands, but then Joe and I saw an older couple outside their house along so we stopped to ask. They pointed just up the street to the parking area, confirmed that the land was open for use, and then we could see the hill right from the car. Sure enough, a huge foundation sat right at the top.

Almost right off the bat Joe found a copper, looked to be a Connecticut, then I found a huge dandy button, then a few more buttons, then we started finding some more coppers. At one point we were right across from each other both digging what we knew were coins. Awesome feeling to be in a relatively small spot and the colonial coins kept coming. About an hour in I had a very high signal on the Deus and I was positive it was silver, but instead it was a Fugio! Recognized it right away even though I've only found two others in 16 years and they were both wasted examples. This one looks pretty good, but I'm not messing with it at all.

By the time we left a few hours later we had nine coppers total and a bunch of buttons, a few buckles and some other relics. Will clean those up and post, as far as the coins I may try to get a little more detail out of them. If I get a better picture and some IDs I'll repost it on this thread. Here is a picture of the coins at the site:

IMG_0352.jpg

Here are the ones that I found, photographed after I got home:

IMG_0354.jpeg

Love this hobby!

Happy spring and happy hunting!

Steve

Upvote 44

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fugio, 1787, minted by Ben Franklin, 1st US cent?
I would be very pleased with a find like that...uh more than pleased...that sounds like the holy grail of coin finds....congratulations!

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good dirt. My wheaties don't come out looking that nice.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread