What's new

Killer little tool!!

Hunter1499

Greenie
Joined
Jul 10, 2019
Messages
19
Reaction score
49
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found in Illinois. Is this a hafted scraper or thumb scraper? Well worked and about 4 mm thick-so it’s quite thin. Also any idea of stone??
Are these common in all cultures?
 

Attachments

  • 8DF7A2FC-72A7-4A7D-A44E-22F74CBCBB11.webp
    8DF7A2FC-72A7-4A7D-A44E-22F74CBCBB11.webp
    274.1 KB · Views: 128
  • A373D523-0A61-4280-91AC-DBD9707CAC6F.webp
    A373D523-0A61-4280-91AC-DBD9707CAC6F.webp
    443.1 KB · Views: 97
  • 142988CA-C94A-4AB2-9662-1AAF01D342D8.webp
    142988CA-C94A-4AB2-9662-1AAF01D342D8.webp
    337.8 KB · Views: 85
Upvote 0
Looks like a little Scraper or a small Blade. The spot on the back side is a fire pop. It's been in some extreme heat.
 
Welcome Hunter!

I have to agree with TGR.

Though, the edge-work is not seen in side-view, it appears more like a small knife or blade than a scraper. It is worked on both sides, creating a blade. I don’t see evidence of hafting. But, that devastating Fire-Pop could have removed that detail.
 
Notice that, before the fire pop, it was a biface with a cutting edge.
Aside from "Fort Ancient," not many people made bifacial scrapers.
FWIW
 
It kinda looks like basalt, I have alot of basalt points and tools that I have found.
 
Welcome also from Mi
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom