What's new

Killer Relic Hunt, Civil War Relics Apothecaries Weight Trashpit

metalev4

Bronze Member
Joined
Aug 12, 2006
Messages
1,166
Reaction score
565
Golden Thread
0
Last weekend the stars finally aligned and I was able to venture out to one of my remote relic sites with my brother and a couple of friends. This site has seen diggers since the 50s, so the easy targets have vanished into collections, however trash pits abound if you know what to look for. I ended up locating 2 different pits both with a nice ash layer, hundreds of square nails, bones, broken glass and a cool assortment of relics mixed in. A broken pipe bowl (reconstructed) and the bottom of an early wine thrown out by a gopher helped me locate the first pit. I love non-metallic relics (especially glass) which has turned me into a sifting fanatic over the last 6 years. With the sifter you know that if it was there you found it. Some of the memorable moments included one shovelful of dirt containing 3 GS eagle coat buttons, indicating that at least a portion of a uniform was burned in that spot. Both of the sewn on components of the epaulette arrangement were within a few feet, likely from the same coat. Sifting in heavy iron, you never know what will turn up and I was shocked when a coin shaped object appeared. After some dry brushing an Apothecaries One Dram Weight was revealed with a British Crown. The patina is absolutely stunning for 150 years in the dirt. These weights were used to measure powder, pills, and liquid medicine for dosing purposes on a small scale. Although not rare on the internet, this artifact had an incredible journey by ship and wagon and is rarely seen dug. Other unique finds included the sole of a Brogan Shoe, open pontiled perfume bottle, friction primer, 1855 dated suspender buckle, squeeze box reeds and of course a couple of mystery brass finds. Although I didn't do much detecting on this adventure, I did locate a large 12lb Borman Frag on a nearby hill which definitely deserves more attention in the future. Due to the dry nature of the soil the Iron comes out perfect, no pitting or damage. To cap off the hunt we located a small Indian Camp and eyeballed some arrowheads. Overall a great time, with quality company and decent relics. Thanks for looking and if you have any ideas as to the identity of the 2 brass relics, it would be much appreciated.
-Ev
 

Attachments

  • Group Shot 2 2016 Relics.webp
    Group Shot 2 2016 Relics.webp
    220 KB · Views: 284
  • Pontiled perfume 2016.webp
    Pontiled perfume 2016.webp
    72.5 KB · Views: 198
  • 3 Eagles sifter 2016 - Copy.webp
    3 Eagles sifter 2016 - Copy.webp
    162.8 KB · Views: 195
  • Apothecaries Weight 2016.webp
    Apothecaries Weight 2016.webp
    63.5 KB · Views: 198
  • One Dram 2016.webp
    One Dram 2016.webp
    58.3 KB · Views: 185
  • Arrow Heads 2016.webp
    Arrow Heads 2016.webp
    101.3 KB · Views: 191
  • Brass Relics 2016.webp
    Brass Relics 2016.webp
    90 KB · Views: 184
  • Eagle buttons close up 2016.webp
    Eagle buttons close up 2016.webp
    83.2 KB · Views: 195
  • Eagle in dirt 2016 - Copy.webp
    Eagle in dirt 2016 - Copy.webp
    71.8 KB · Views: 189
  • Mystery Finds 2016.webp
    Mystery Finds 2016.webp
    236.8 KB · Views: 196
Upvote 34
Really nice! Love all those buttons!!! I mean civil war AND Indian site? Wow!
That black colored piece in the last picture kind of looks like an early door latch, and the flat part is where you put your finger and pushed down to open the latch? The long pole thing, maybe it's a steelyard scale? Again, not 100% positive.
 
Amazing man! That weight is incredible. What a great surprise
 
Wow, what a great assortment of finds! First time seeing a dram weight, and you've got some nice points there. Congrats and well done!
 
Dude you just dug up a Museum!!!!!!!!!!!! Awesome wow
 
Excellent work for a "hunted out" site. Great finds!
 
Incredible man! The dry environment preserves the iron and... the leather. That's wild how much of the shoe is left. I really like that bone toothbrush too, and whats that thing in the bottom left with the person drawn on it? A scoop with 3 GS buttons sure is memorable. Awesome hunt man... that group shot is just amazing.
 
Another very productive hunt again Evan, and I'm sure you're trying to find space in your museum to display these latest additions. My favorite, as you probably know, is that unusual coin weight. That's the first of that type I've seen dug, and being found out west makes it that much more exceptional. Lots of other cool finds too including those points. Hope you can get back to the local privy digging soon.
 
Yeap, its got Vickie's Crown on it, & a type I've yet to find. Nice weight!
 
Wow, you're a pit diggin' fool Evan! I love it all especially the apothecary weight and all of the brass. That stuff is in amazing shape! Looks like you fellas had a blast and tell your bro I said hello.
 
man thats some nice finds! I got one of those weights a few back but mine is a half dug it on an old homesite. man you killed it.
 
Killer hunt Evan. Congrats on the weight and the obsidian points are really sweet.
 
______________________________ya left me speechless :--)
 
Really nice! Love all those buttons!!! I mean civil war AND Indian site? Wow!
That black colored piece in the last picture kind of looks like an early door latch, and the flat part is where you put your finger and pushed down to open the latch? The long pole thing, maybe it's a steelyard scale? Again, not 100% positive.

Thanks for the comments and ID guesses. I agree that the first piece seems to be some type of latch or lever, just not sure what it could have opened and it seems so flimsy to be a door latch, anyway, appreciate the thoughts.
 
Incredible man! The dry environment preserves the iron and... the leather. That's wild how much of the shoe is left. I really like that bone toothbrush too, and whats that thing in the bottom left with the person drawn on it? A scoop with 3 GS buttons sure is memorable. Awesome hunt man... that group shot is just amazing.

Thanks for the comments, I know you can appreciate the amount of work it takes to sift a pit. The bone hair brush is my favorite find. I know you like restoring those types of artifacts and I plan to use your mineral oil technique. The piece at the bottom left is the lid to some type of tin with a man carved in it. I should post a better picture its actually pretty interesting art.
 
Yeap, its got Vickie's Crown on it, & a type I've yet to find. Nice weight!

Thanks Cru, I thought of you when I dug it. Not something you see over here often, I figured across the pond they might be dug with some regularity.
 
Thanks for the comments, I know you can appreciate the amount of work it takes to sift a pit. The bone hair brush is my favorite find. I know you like restoring those types of artifacts and I plan to use your mineral oil technique. The piece at the bottom left is the lid to some type of tin with a man carved in it. I should post a better picture its actually pretty interesting art.

Interesting.... you know, I thought it looked bigger than a toothbrush. I was trying to judge its size based off the GS buttons right next to it and guessed it was 3/4 - 1" wide or more. ha Pretty awesome man. The mineral oil should darken it and bring out more of the colors in the bone.
 
Thanks Cru, I thought of you when I dug it. Not something you see over here often, I figured across the pond they might be dug with some regularity.
Medicine weights yes, but this type, not so much.
 
Awesome trash pit finds, they can really yield some cool stuff with work! :occasion14:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom