KILLING THE GRASS..how do i not kill the grass ?

silversurfer1111

Jul 14, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
GARRET AT PRO ..Whites Classic SL. . modified 9 Function Metal Detector from Harbor Freight tools
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its bin hot out . all of my plugs are drying out . I cut half circle plugs about 6" all of them are drying out....its not a big deal were I have bin hunting but I just got permission to hunt a couple of property's ..and I don't want to kill the grass .. they will not like that .they probably will not let me back if the grass looks all dead in the spots were I dig . should I go after a heavy rain or cut the plugs differently ...water the grass ? ??? thank you for your help :hello:

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I usually cut a three sided square at least five inches or wider and deep enough to go past the root line, then I fold the whole thing over keeping the grass on the uncut side (hopefully) intact. When everything is done the square plug makes a nice tight seal. If a target goes south on me and the hole starts to get messy I'll close it up and walk away rather than do more damage. Don't dig in dry ground if you want the grass to live. :icon_thumright:

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Digging a flap is your best option. This way you just flip it over and flip it back when done. However this will not guarantee that the grass will be undamaged. Soil conditions plays a key roll. I really try not to hunt on sites with nice lawns during the summer months. I will save them for the winter time when the grass is not green.

mical66

Jul 17, 2012
Greeneville , TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Both are good suggestions. Although I know it’s not practical to do in all situations , but on a really nice lawn that you are only going to dig good signals and not take a chance to damage grass for trash items , bring a gallon of water and carry a small water bottle with you to keep full , and before you put your plug back give the roots a drink. And as the guys have already said , try to avoid the hottest months and hottest time of day .

OP
OP
silversurfer1111

silversurfer1111

Jul 14, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
GARRET AT PRO ..Whites Classic SL. . modified 9 Function Metal Detector from Harbor Freight tools
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks a lot everyone. I will just wait until things cool down a little. and I will definitely try to cut square flaps..

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I dig plugs. The secret is that grass 'daisy links' in the root system, SO make your plug at least 6" in dia and a min of 3" deep. some types of grass have 6" roots so be observant. A 6" round hole is bigger than a 6" square hole. This system leaves enough connected roots for the plug to survive and reconnect to the surrounding roots. OH, and put the plug back in even with the ground by hand. Don't smash the blades stomping on it. Frank...

black bamboo.jpg Well it works most places, lol Frank

treadhead

Jul 8, 2013
Salem, OR
Detector(s) used
Ace 150, AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, Vibra-Probe 580 and 730.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Both are good suggestions. Although I know it’s not practical to do in all situations , but on a really nice lawn that you are only going to dig good signals and not take a chance to damage grass for trash items , bring a gallon of water and carry a small water bottle with you to keep full , and before you put your plug back give the roots a drink. And as the guys have already said , try to avoid the hottest months and hottest time of day .

I've been thinking of doing that Myself. I'm fortunate enough to have a few really nice (Historic) towns around here that have almost no restrictions on MD'ng. I've been digging
them for a few months now and have noticed that some of My plugs have died (I don't dig them all the way around).

Thanks for the thread OP.....

Jarl

Jul 28, 2012
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENT: E-Trac

FORMER:Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Garrett AT Pro & Garrett Pinpointer Pro Garrett GTAx 1000, Ace 250

HAVE USED: Teknetics & Bounty Hunters

WANT TO TRY: Tesoro and White's someday
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of mine have died, and some have not. I think soil moisture in addition to root structure has very much to do with it. As already stated, try to dig deeper than the root line and maybe always leave a 'hinge' of some sort, don't totally remove a sod pile. Also, try not to shake loose the plug itself too much. I agree also with not stomping the plug back into place, just place it and press it in with your foot. I have a thought that if you compact it too much, beyond what damage was made already, overly compacted and damaged roots might have a much worse time of surviving afterwards. Then again, it may not work at all. I have noticed some locals that cut enormous square plugs, actually more like manholes lol, and I know everywhere they have been because I will see this square line of 'death' and then in the very center of the plug there will be this lonely 'chia hair' looking patch of grass. I have found no real secret with digging plugs...conditions and methods are always variable. But work on the side of caution as you already seem to be. Maybe offer to repair any unsightly work should it appear, at least you'll show that you care beyond a dig and ditch attitude of detecting.

AU Seeker

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
E-Track, MXT, CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try and learn to use a probe and use it when possible, only dig as a last resort, add a little water in the hole before replacing the plug, if you add water to the top on a very hot and sunny day the sun could burn the grass and it will die anyway.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Square hole, round holes, flaps or no flaps, none of this matters if the ground is very dry. I have dug round plugs for forty or more years and never had a problem with dying plugs unless the soil was very dry. I never hunt any lawns unless the soil is damp. You get better depth in damp soil as a bonus. There have been summers of drought conditions that I refuse to hunt lawns. I just exercise patience and wait for the rains to come and make the soil more compatible to digging and grass survival.

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've dug over 20 holes in my yard back in April of this year 2013, and now you can hardly tell where I dug them,with very little rain this year and a soaker hose their almost all gone.

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What Frankn wrote is correct. I do what I call a compass cut north south E W...square plug with a small glad shovel at least 5" wide and 5 to 7" down. I have never had one dead spot because by doing what I do the roots aren't damaged. I see those guys out there making little mole holes shallow and it cuts through the grass root system and in couple days a brown spot starts. Certainly don't cut in the heat of the day and don't think of you do that a little bit of water will help,all you will do is scald the grass. The sun burns that wet grass, that's why you see sprinklers used morning and nigh not noon. Neighbor owns a sprinkler and sod company, where I got my info...who better

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

rickv14623

Dec 24, 2012
upstate, ny
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Square hole, round holes, flaps or no flaps, none of this matters if the ground is very dry. I have dug round plugs for forty or more years and never had a problem with dying plugs unless the soil was very dry. I never hunt any lawns unless the soil is damp. You get better depth in damp soil as a bonus. There have been summers of drought conditions that I refuse to hunt lawns. I just exercise patience and wait for the rains to come and make the soil more compatible to digging and grass survival.

Round plugs as "flaps" or 360 degree cuts?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try and learn to use a probe and use it when possible, only dig as a last resort, add a little water in the hole before replacing the plug, if you add water to the top on a very hot and sunny day the sun could burn the grass and it will die anyway.

AU gave good advise, I never cut a plug, I make a slice in sod and use probe and tiny diggers, one is 3/4" wide and other is 1 1/4" wide. You can never tell I was there when I leave.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

twoauers

Jul 7, 2013
Nashville
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And Old Golf Course trick maybe it will work. Keep a bottle of sand with you, remove the plug, get the find. The add sand in with the plug. keep some extra bottles of water and pour it over. Of course I am talking about your neighbors yard, not an open un-used field, there you replace the plug. That- and do not over dig the area. Give it time to come back. Water the grass when your finish is a good thought for bringing good will between you also.

Jon in Nashville

Last edited:

Kalc

Greenie
Jun 30, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the advice, fellows. It is appreciated by many.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread