riverfinds 022.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 552

Mike_of_Tenn

Nov 19, 2008
White Bluff, TN
Detector(s) used
MineLab X-Terra 70
Calworks said:
brand new a small one runs around 100-$200 for about a 4 incher, 8 inchers probably $500-1000. I'd look on e-bay as there is always one for sale there, or google used lapidary saws, there are loads listed

Do a search on home-made lapidary tools. You can build one pretty cheap. Also I have seen LOTS of home-made rock tumblers made from old tires and other things. Just some food for thought. :wink:

Mike

Upvote 0

goldinmypan

Apr 18, 2006
Ventura, CA
Detector(s) used
LST
Look into a 10" tile saw. I found a MK tile saw at a yard sale for $300. It handles up to 4 inch rocks, larger if you cut from all sides. One of my favorate things is finding out what the rocks look like on the inside.

Upvote 0

EggyOG

Jan 18, 2007
You don't have to worry about cutting your fingers off. I'm sure you could do it, but it would take an awfully long time and a lot of pressure. One of the jokes we play on people when we show them how to cut is we "slip" and hold our fingers on the blade. If you scream a little bit it really gets a reaction. The problem is that the diamond wheel doesn't cut your skin, much less lop off fingers.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread